N I N E

Brinley sat beside Wells freshly covered grave silently. Monty stood by the trees not far away, watching Brinley silently. Bellamy had dragged him out here after he had called Murphy away from Brinley for whatever reason. Monty didn't mind, he thought the older girl needed a friend more than she let on.

Brinley felt numb. The anger had ebbed away as she dug the hole and watched Bellamy and Murphy move Wells body. She had dirt on her face but she didn't care.

'Hey Monty?' She called, breaking the silence that had settled between the two.

'Yeah?' Monty called back, walking closer hesitantly.

'Figured out a way to make moonshine yet?'

Monty frowned though she couldn't see him. 'How do you know about that?'

'Your moonshine is legendary.' Though her words were kind, no smile covered her face as she teased the dark headed boy.

'Once Jasper and I work it out, you'll be the first to get some.'

A small smile broke across Brinley's face much to Monty's happiness.

The smile disappeared as she heard Clarke and Finn approaching.

'Guess it's time to go then.' Brinley murmured, picking up her discarded jacket and shirt. As she dug the sun had risen to its highest point and she'd gotten hot, so she stripped to her singlet and left her other possessions with Monty.

Clarke stopped short at the sight of Brinley and Monty but Brinley didn't even glance at the two as her and Monty passed them.

'Brin...' Clarke reached for Brinley's arm but Brinley jerked it out of her reach violently.

'Don't. Don't even bother.' Her voice was void of any type of emotion and she didn't even glance at Clarke as she passed.

Brinley and Monty walked in companionable silence until they reached the drop ship. 'You coming in?'

Brinley shook her head. 'Nah, thanks for staying with me.'

'Anytime, we're friends now, okay?' Monty smiled at her as he walked away.

Brinley made her way to her tent silently, ignoring the stares she was receiving from her curious campmates.

Without a second thought Brinley made her way to the river her and Octavia had discovered near the butterfly field. It was about a half hour walk and Brinley knew she shouldn't be going out alone but at that moment she simply didn't care.

She successfully made it to the stream without incident and she wasted no time before stripping down and jumping in. The water was warm from the sun and Brinley hurriedly scrubbed the dirt from her body, rinsing her hair out as best she could.

Once she was done she made her way to the top of the rocks, finding the flattest one before lying down, allowing herself to air dry. The sun dipped lower in the sky and she sighed, knowing she had to head back to camp before dark.

She redressed quickly, making her way back.

'Where were you?'

The voice startled her as she made her way towards her tent; the sun had begun to set behind her. She turned around to face Murphy, who was standing beside a stern faced Bellamy.

'Went for a walk.' She shrugged.

'You shouldn't be out there alone.'

'I can take care of myself.'

'So could Wells, the grounders would snap you in half.' Brinley's face-hardened at the mention of Wells, but she knew Bellamy hadn't meant it to be cruel so she ignored it. Mostly.