~5~

I was woken from my sleep by Ms. Baker. I squint my eyes at her as I look at the time. 7:01 a.m.
     "Come with me Ms. Carter," she said in a stern voice, due to the early hour.
     I slowly get out of bed, getting my body use to day. Ms. Brady grabs my forearm out of frustration. She then drags me into the dining room, where everyone will soon sit for breakfast.
     "Since we can't move you to another orphanage, you'll be helping in the kitchen for a months' time. So every morning you'll get up at 7, help set the table and serve the food. Every evening you'll do the dishes." Informed Ms. Brady in a happy tone. 
     I don't say anything in return, but just walk past her. I start to set the plates on the table along with the sporks.
     Minutes later I heard feet patter down the hall. It was the girl with red hair that referred to me as "this".
     "Hey aren't you the girl that Brayden hangs around?" She asked obnoxiously. I nod my head, placing a spork beside the plate. "Your the one that never talks. What's your name again?" She continues.
     "Jack." I say in a low voice.
      "What are you doing?" She then asked leaning over a chair.
     "Got in trouble," I answer, trying to make the conversation as little as possible. 
     Out of the corner of my eye I saw her maneuver closer to me, teasingly. I kept eyeing her as she continued to follow me, adjusting the crooked plates, knowing it'll anger me.
     I brush it off as much as I can. I put the extra plates away when a loud shatter rings through the orphanage.
     I quickly turn around and see the broken plate and an angry Ms. Brady. 
     "Why did you drop the plate?" The redhead smirked as Ms. Brady approached.
     I could feel the anger bubble up in my system. My hands were clenched into fists. I start to go towards her, when hands are wrapped around my shoulders.
     "Jack, don't." A male voice said. I turn around and see Brayden with warning eyes.
     I furrow my brow and rip away from his grip. I head to my room, making sure it's locked as its not only my room anymore.
     Minutes later I hear the door clicking open. Brayden walks in and holds up the keys in response.
     "I'm not stupid, Jack. And your not either. That's why I brought the key," he further explained.
     "Why did you come here if you knew I wanted to be alone?" I ask, lacking the emotion.
     "When your alone for to long, you know you start to go crazy?" He informed.
     "What if I already am?" I answer with a question.
     "Then you'll become even more insane," he said chuckling.
     I feel a small smile creep up on my lips, as I quickly look down.
     "What was that? Was that...a smile?" Brayden asked, mimicking shock.
      I feel my lips curve up naturally. You can't hide a real smile. Even I know that. A sense of lightness washed over me.
      "You have dimples," he stated calmly.
      "A dimple." I correct, earning a small chuckle from Brayden. A smile. An actual smile, not one of those fake or picture perfect ones, but a real smile.