~8~

I woke up the next morning to reading the clock at 8:32. I jump out of bed and run down the hall remembering that I have dishes to set.
     I quickly come to a halt when I see Brayden finishing up with placing the plates and silverware. He looks over at me and shoots me a sheepish smile. I look down in return, as I grab the rest of the plates.
     "Jack, I'm sorry. About last night. I didn't-" he started to apologize.
     "Yeah, I know, you didn't mean it. You're sorry and hope I'll forgive you," I say finishing my sentence for him. "This is why I didn't want to talk to you." I say in a lower voice. "People just end up hurting you." I say even quieter.
     I never actually admitted that to anyone. I feel Brayden's icy blue eyes on me. I turn away and put the extra plates away. I hear Brayden's steps get closer to me.
     "I said the wrong thing at the wrong time. But to be fair, I don't know you and you don't really know me," he explained.
     That's a lie. I know that his hair is always tossled to the left. I know that his eyes squint when he smiles just the slightest bit. I know that in order to fall asleep, his arms have to be outside the blanket.
     "Your right. You have no clue who I am. No one does. No one knows that I have a dimple on my cheek or that I can be approachable. And no one knows that my eyes are actually blue. Except you. Brayden, you know me more than anyone." That was the most I've ever said to him.
      Brayden was left in silent shock. I could tell that's he didn't know how to respond. However, after a moment or two, I came to the conclusion that he wasn't going to say anything.
     I walk back to my room and sit on the window sill. I'm back where I started. I run my fingers through my hair as I see the same the little girl from last night. Sydney.
     I hesitantly open my window and slip outside. Sydney cracks a small smile to me as I do the same.
     Almost instantly after a man comes up behind her and swiftly picks her up. Sydney kicks and screams as the man started running.
     I immediately run and climb over the fence. I start to run towards the man as I feel my heart beat from adrenaline.
     The man turns into an alleyway, slowing down. I stand behind the man, as I watch fear cloud up in Sydney's eyes.
     "Jack," she says as her lip quivers. The man swiftly turns around. His eyes were black and beady. He had the physic of a body builder.
     "Let her go." I say to him. The man smiles and starts to chuckle. "I'm not joking." I say staring into his black eyes.
     "Your funny kid. Why don't you go back to wherever you came from," he said in a low voice.
     I stay still. He shifts his weight, waiting for me to leave. I raise my hand to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear, but quickly move my hand and slap him.
     I quickly grab Sydney from him and try to run. I feel a hand pull my shoulder back as the man punched my right cheekbone. I grip Sydney even tighter, when I kick his shins.
     I then run, I run as fast as I can. I set Sydney down on the side of the the orphanage. I examine her small body to see that she was untouched.
     "Where are your parents?" I ask her huffing. She stays silent. "Do you know where you live?" I then ask. 
     "I-i don't know," stutters Sydney. I see tears form in her eyes. I look around not knowing what to do. I've never been put in a situation like this.
     "Sydney! Where are you?" I hear someone fanatically scream.
     "Mommy!" Sydney says in response, running out of my arms. I look over the corner to see Sydney run into her mothers embrace. Her mother grabbed her hand and started to walk away.
     Sydney glanced back at me once again and gave me a big smile almost as a "thank you". I return her with a small smile.
      I climb the fence and decide to stay outside. My hand goes to my cheek. It was tender and throbbing. I sit against my tree, thinking about the events that just occurred.
     It was an adrenaline rush. I just did it. No thinking was involved. I liked it. It added something to my life.