~15~

"Jacklynn! I can't believe I'm finally meeting you!" A women who looked about the ripe age of 36.
     I look up at her. She had dirty blonde hair, much like mine. Her eyes were a darker shade of blue, however  recognizably blue. She seemed like a genuinely happy person. Seemed.
      "I'm Cara by the way. I'm so glad this whole adoption process has gone through well." She smiled. "Do you have your bags?" Cara asked.
     I nod my head slightly as she grabbed one of them. I follow her out and look behind my shoulder to see Brayden sitting at the table. Alone.
     I turn around and follow Cara out of the orphanage. I was leaving. I was actually leaving the orphanage and have a second chance.
     "So, Jacklynn are you excited?" Cara asks in a delighted tone.
     I look at her as we start driving. I then look out the car window.
     "I guess." I say blankly.
     Cara was taken back my lack of enthusiasm. She tried making light conversation with me the entire 10 minutes of driving home.
     "Alright, well, your room is upstairs, first door to the left. Furniture is already in there so you just have to unpack." Cara explains when we get home.
     I slightly nod my head and walk towards my room.
      The room was a light teal color with white furniture. A large window was on the back wall and below it, was a simple white bed spread.
     It definitely didn't feel like home. It just felt like I was in a room. I set my stuff on the floor and sat on my bed.
The sun has just about sunken into the earth and it was nearing 8:00.
"Alright so tomorrow I have to work from about 9-6, so you'll be alone. However I will be able to work earlier hours this week so we can spend time together," Cara smiled.
"Ok..."I trail off not really paying attention to her. Cara waits a moment, as if I were to say more, but eventually leaves.
     I sit on my bed and let my eyes wander the room. This was home. This was my home. It was so surreal. I never thought I'd get adopted, especially at the "older" age of 15.
    I change into my pajamas and climb into my unfamiliar bed that had yet to become "comfortable."  I turned off the lamp on my beside table, and as hard as I tried to fall asleep, I couldn't.
     There had to be a string attached to this whole thing. No one just wants to adopt a teenage girl. This is to fake to be true.