~14~

"Jacklynn Carter!" Screamed a voice from the hallway. It was nearing the end of the day.
"Pack your bags, Carter. You've been adopted." Ms. Brady said with a smile.
I look at her in disbelief.
"But the process of adopting-" I start to say. It takes a year if not more to complete an adoption.
"Has already been handled and done," Ms. Brady squeals.
"By who?" I ask cautiously.
"Just pack your bags," she shoos.
I ignore the lack of knowledge and go into my room and start putting my clothes into bags.
"Where are you going?" Brayden asks walking in.
"Apparently I've been adopted." I say without any emotion.
"Your leaving?" He asks after a pause. There was a hint of sadness in his voice. I nod my head as I shove the rest of my stuff in my bag.
"Who's adopting you?" He then asks sitting on my bed.
"I don't know." I sigh. I wanted to get out of the orphanage as fast as I could, but somehow this felt wrong. It felt like the wrong person was adopting me.
"Do you really want to leave? Especially with a person you don't even know," Brayden proceeds to ask.
"I-I'm not sure. But look at my options. I'd rather leave than stay here," I say with uncertainness.
     Brayden looks done silently at the floor. I zip up my bags and set them on my messy bed, that I never bothered to make.
     "So your really leaving?" He asks looking at my slightly.
     "I'm sorry," I say after a pause. That was the first time I uttered those two words with full meaning. "But it happens. People will leave and walk straight through your life leaving nothing but a scare behind." I then say changing the tone.
     Brayden was once again silent. I was truly going to miss this kid. Even though he drove my to my insanity at first, I'm actually going to miss him.