~24~

We approach the orphanage. Kids were playing in the yard, just like they have always done. I look over at the tree expecting to see Brayden, but he wasn't there.
     "I'll go in to the front desk and ask questions, or stall so you can get in. Just wait here till they go inside." Blaise said eyeing Ms. Baker and Ms. Fields.
     I nod my head slightly. Blaise walks around the building and goes to the front desk.
     As I wait, I feel my heartbeat increase. What if he wasn't even there and got adopted? I take a breath in and stare at the tree. It held so many memories of just me, alone with my thoughts. Memories of Brayden then came to me and how he didn't give up on me. He's the first person to ever achieve that.
     Moments pass by both Ms. Baker and Ms. Fields are gone. I quietly go over the fence and sneak into my old room. Brayden wasn't there.
     He wasn't sitting by the window or on his bed. I look around and quietly call out his name. No response answers my call, and no bright blue eyes greet me with a warm smile.
     I look around the room. Still, nothing has changed. There's still a mattress and two blankets on the floor where he sleeps and my bed looks as if it hasn't been touched. The window sill looked the same. I caught myself staring out the window.
      "Jack?" A familiar voice said.
       I turn around and saw those eyes that I didn't realize I missed so much.
     "What are you doing here?" Brayden asked cautiously. It was almost as if he was scared of me. He kept his distance from me.
     "I need help," I open up to him, realizing how desperate I was for information about my family.
     "Jack, you can't do that to me. You left and it was so easy for you to leave, come back, then leave again." He said looking at me, standing so still.
     "Whoever said it was easy?" I question.
     "It sure looked-"
     "Why do judge based on looks all of a sudden? Where did the Brayden that talked to me even though I didn't respond. And if I did they were with one word answers." I say solemnly.
     Brayden took a breath in. We, just like old times sat in silence. Except this time it was uncomfortable.
     "I don't have time for this," I break the silence. "Too many people have left me and if you want to join them then go right ahead, but if not then I need your help." I say strongly. I'm afraid of what words are going to march out of his words next.
     I didn't want him to be like everyone else, I really didn't, but if he left then it'd show who he really is as a person. And I've let myself to get attached to him. I haven't done that in a while and this is exactly why. That gut wrenching feeling that this was all a play with scripted, meaningless words. The thought that they were just playing pretend when you were playing real life. That's why I promised myself that I wouldn't get attached, yet I broke that promise. I broke that promise for Brayden.