~11~

The next day I sit on my tree, taking in the summer air. Breakfast was just finished and I wanted to be alone. I haven't been alone in a while.
     It's healthy to be alone. It creates a sense of independence, something many lack.
     I run fingertips over the markings on the tree. There were countless initials and hearts with arrows. Nothing really meaningful. People believe that if they carve their initials into something that could last forever, then maybe their love will.
     That's probably why people use diamonds in wedding rings. Nothing can break a diamond except itself. Which speaks a lot. It's shows that love can be shattered only be the two people affected. Except nobody sees diamonds for that. They see them for their worth and shininess.
     "How do you feel about going to the beach tonight?" I hear Brayden ask as he sits down.
     I look at him. "Really?" I ask him. He's joking. Brayden wouldn't leave behind Ms. Brady's back.
     "Yeah. You kept saying what it felt like going over that fence, so I want that experience. Let's go," he urged.
      "Alright. Do you know where the beach is?" I smile lightly.
     "Yeah. It's about 2 blocks away." He said with an excitement in his eyes.
     I look over to the gate. "Ok." I confirm. This world is such a strange place. It's filled with everything. Wonders, miracles, horrors, reality. Things that can be experienced behind a fence.

     "Ready?" Brayden asks quietly with a bright smile. We were both sure that everyone was asleep.
     He quietly fully opened the window and jumped out, as I followed behind. We went to the far left side of the gate, knowing that Ms. Brady's and Ms. Fields's room were on the far right.
     "I like it," Brayden whispered as we walked towards the beach.
     "You have no idea how much I've wanted to do this." I smile as I look ahead. I feel Brayden's icy blue eyes on me.
     We continue walking till we hit a pier filled with lights and people. This was typical. A typical summer night on the beach. It's crazy how someone's "typical" can be someone's "special". Going to the beach was special for me, yet typical for about everyone here. We all love our lives in such different perspectives.
      "Amazing, huh?" Brayden asks, as he addresses the wonder in my eyes.
    "Yeah." I say in a voice barely audible.
     We walk over to the everlasting ocean accompanied by warm sand. I sink in the sand with my bare feet. I listen to the waves slowly lap the shore. The sound excites me in a way no other.
I look over at Brayden and see his eyes filled with the same amazement.
"C'mon, let's go," I say starting to walk towards the big blue.
We drop out shoes off in the sand and stand right where the sand and water barely meet.
"This is..." I start to wander off with my words.
"Amazing." Brayden finishes for me.
I look at the black sea. The waves were calm and soothing. This was what I've missed my whole 15 years. I've never been to the beach once. I feel my lips curl up in happiness.
"So is this the real Jacklynn Carter?" I hear Brayden ask me. I look up at him at his suddenness.
"I don't know," I say quietly.
"Your eyes are almost as blue as mine," he then smiled. "Almost." He boasted.
I roll my eyes at him playfully as we walk back to the sand. We sit on the shoreline as we sit with the waves doing all the talking.
I look over to the pier which held lights and music and people. However something caught my eye. It was a tall dark figure. He wasn't alone. There was a smaller figure, identifying as a girl.
"Do you know them?" Brayden asks noticing my gaze.
"No," I say. Yet I felt like I did. "I don't know them," I confirm. I'm almost positive I knew the boy.
"I'm glad we came here." Brayden then said, unaware I was lying. "I like being here with you," he then said bluntly.
"Yeah," I say with a sense of nervousness in my voice.
"Are you ok?" He inquired, noticing the way I was acting.
"Yeah I'm-" I started to say.
"Jacklynn? Jacklynn Carter?" A smile voice asks.
     I turn and face the direction of the voice. There stood the familiar face of my older brother, who I have seen in 10 years.
     Although it was dark, his prominent features stuck out. Chiseled face. Sharp bone structure. Dirty blond hair. And dark eyes. They were dark, but surely blue. 
     "Get away from me," I mutter in a low voice full of pure venom.
     "Jacklynn I've missed-" he started to say.
     "No you haven't, Andrew. If you cared you wouldn't have said all that crap when mom died," I say in the same voice.
     "Shouldn't you be in an orphanage?" He asks changing the subject and tone.
     "I needed to get out of that hellhole. Shouldn't you be in an orphanage?" I retaliate.
     "I'm 18. Whose the boy?" He asked raising his eyebrow.
     "None of your business, and you don't have to pretend to care, I already know you don't," I fire back.
     "Jacklynn I can adopt you and everything-" he started to say with a hopeful voice. He knows I hate the orphanage. He thinks he can revive what we once had. Idiot.
     "No. I don't want to see you, let alone live with you." I mutter through gritted teeth.
     "Jacklynn-" he then started to recover.
     "I'm done with all this," I say. I grab Brayden's hand and start to swiftly walk away.
     I hear Andrew call after me. I ignore him and walk faster. I wanted to get as far away from him as possible.
     "Jack," Brayden says slowing down once we have left the beach. "Are you ok?" He proceeds to ask.
     No. I wasn't.