Chapter 33 - Birthday surprise

CHAPTER NOT EDITED

Chapter 33 - Birthday surprise

Zane

The past couple of days had been anything but peaceful. For one, I could not get over my shock from my visit to the north kingdom. I knew Aria wasn't oblivious, but I didn't expect her to figure it out so quickly. Very few people could leave me speechless, and apparently Aria was now one of them. One would have expected me to jump at the opportunity to take her away from there, but there were still things she didn't know.

I could have answered her question then and there but I didn't. We'll eventually talk about it, just not right now.

Knock knock!

"Come in. To what do I owe the pleasure brother? Don't you have more important things to do?"

"This came for us a couple of days ago." He looked quite smug. "The queen has requested our presence at a very important event." I tried not to roll my eyes. Instead, I took the envelope and looked over the content inside. You are invited to celebrate with us the royal family, the birthday of his majesty Prince Blake Ryonan. I didn't need to read anymore to know that I was expected to attend. As much as I hated the idea and didn't want to, I would do it just to be close to Aria again. "The way I hear it, this party is being planned by his mate and not the Queen. Strange isn't it? You'd think for something as important as this the Queen would want to be hands on."

"I'm not even going to ask how you know so much Eli."

"I have my ways."

"I'm sure you do. You don't have to worry. I'll be there."

"We'll all be there."

"So you're taking sister-in-law then?"

"Unfortunately."

I really didn't get how Eli could be so cold towards his own mate. She was his true mate after all, but sometimes it doesn't feel that way. He does whatever and whoever he wants the same as he used to before. He hasn't changed one bit.

"You could be a little happier about it."

"Why should I? I have my eyes focused elsewhere at the moment."

"Elsewhere? I hope you're not talking about Alyssa."

"Alyssa? You're on first name basis I see."

"Aren't we all? Anyway, whatever ideas or plans you have regarding Alyssa you best forget about them. That mate of hers isn't one to take lightly. There is no doubt in my mind he would willingly give up his life for hers."

"Oh I'm counting on it dear brother."

"Just what exactly are you up to Eli?" I stalked over to him and gripped him by the collar. He brushed me off. "You just mind your own business. You not only have one mate to compete with, but two. Do you think it will be easy? Do you think she'll come to you willingly? Think again brother. I wouldn't be surprised if at this very moment she's in bed with both of them fucking her brains out." The anger that was building inside of me was almost at its peak. I punched him in the face. He only laughed. "Let's get on thing straight here brother. You might be the ruling King for all intent and purpose, but don't you for one second forget that I gave up the position to you. Don't get ahead of yourself here. Not only am I older than you, I'm stronger, faster and more powerful. Don't ever make the mistake of thinking you are superior to me. Whatever plans you have I suggest you cancel them. You don't want a repeat of what happened the last time we couldn't get along."

"As usual, I'll do whatever the hell I want. But just a word of advice to you brother...tonight ensure you keep your eyes on that mate of yours. I wouldn't want anything to happen to her before you've had the chance to actually mate with her."

"Are you threatening me?" The words sounded almost like an animal's growl. I was back in his face again. "Is that a threat Eli? I want to make sure before you get your ass handed to you."

"Calm down. It's just some brotherly advice. No matter what I have or don't have planned, it's nothing compared to what might happen if they get their way." I worked hard on controlling my temper. This was what he wanted. He wanted to push my buttons so I'll lose my calm. I won't allow him to get to me this way. "The party starts at eight." With those parting words, he disappeared. My fist flew into the wall over and over again. But no matter how many times I did it I felt no pain. My body automatically heals before my fist fully connects with the wall. Now that I was really worked up what I needed was to release the tension.

"Number 3!" I bellowed. She rushed from her position and quickly situated herself at my feet. "Yes Master?"

"Draw me a bath!" Number 1 scampered to do my bidding. I grabbed the girl kneeling before me and dragged her into the adjacent room. Did I feel wrong for doing what I did? Maybe I did, but something else was driving me at that moment and it was pure jealousy. I pushed her roughly to the floor and took her like a wild animal. It wasn't enough. She wasn't enough to calm the rage within me. After I finished with her I took the others as well. I fucked them hard. I was brutal and I didn't care one bit about them or their feelings. As far as I was concerned they had no feelings. This is what they were her for, to service me. I wasn't pleased though. Their job was to satisfy my every need and I wasn't anywhere near being satisfied. If anything, I was angrier than I was before. I took them again and again, harder and rougher each time until they were too weak to even do much. "You're all worthless!" I stormed from the room leaving them behind. It was cruel of me to behave that way, but at the moment I didn't care.

"My suit should have been ready hours ago! What the hell have you been doing all this time?" I backhanded her across the face. "Is this how you treat your master? I clothed you, feed you and take care of you and this is how you repay me? You'll all be punished when I get back! You are not allowed to eat, to sleep or even breathe until I say so! None of you!"

"Yes Master."

I buttoned my cuff links quickly and put on my jacket. I had a feeling tonight was going to be one of those nights where all I would want to do is drink the whole damn time.

"Things turned out better than I thought it would."

"Why are you following me around Eli? This is a party after all. Go mingle."

"I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity."

"Yea, you do that." I scoffed loudly to let him know how preposterous I thought this plan of his was. "Damn it! He doesn't leave her side." What did he expect? "Of course he doesn't. Look at her. You wouldn't leave her side either. You should concentrate on keeping your own mate company instead of going after others. "Well at least my mate is smart enough to not go around flirting openly with other men." My brain registered his words and my eyes followed the direction of his. Of course Aria was all over him, and that other blonde one wasn't far away either. I should wring his fucking neck for daring to take what's mine. "Wouldn't that be fun? Are you going to fight with him at his own party? They'll throw you out before you could get any good punches in."

"Stay out of my head! And I'd like to see them try."

"I thought you said she knew you were mates? Why is she all over that guy?" Their laughs floated our way. Whatever they were talking about must have been good to have Aria giggling like that. I was green with envy. "I need a drink."

"Aren't you going to wish the birthday prince a happy birthday?" I sent him a death glare. He was taunting me. There was no doubt in my mind that Eli was enjoying this a little too much. "You're an ass you know that? I'm going to the bar." I didn't know why I was even here. I showed my face. I'd think that would be enough to appease them. But no, I had to put on a show. They needed to see that both kingdoms were getting along, and they needed the people here to see that as well. Why am I even bothering? They work for me. They had those positions because of my family. How dare they give me orders? I gulped down my scotch and ordered another one.

"I didn't think you'd show up here."

"And why not? I was invited wasn't I?"

"Yes, but I just assumed after not hearing anything from you that you'd skip this all together."

"Well I'm here so deal with it. Don't worry; I won't interfere with your proceedings." I ordered more scotch. "Keep them coming," I said to the bartender. "What's wrong with you?" She frowned. "Wrong? With me? Not a damn thing. I'm just peachy." Before she could answer me a servant interrupted us. "Looks like you're needed elsewhere." I turned back to my drink and gulped down the rest.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday Prince Blake...happy birthday to you."

I wanted to throw up from watching the scene before me. Aria was walking seductively towards him with a cake in hand. He sat upon his thrown and smiled warmly at her. I could only imagine the smile she was giving him back. My plan was to leave after the cutting of the cake anyway. I hope they get it over with soon. Thank God the presents were given out earlier. It took all the self control I had in me to watch how Aria outdid herself with all those presents just for him. Again the little green monster rose within me. Her voice was loud and clear in the room. "Blow out your candles and make a wish mate." I scoffed so loud I didn't doubt for a second they heard me all the way across the room. He smiled at her and then blew out the candles. That's when it happened. The exact moment he blew out the candles the power went out.

Numerous gasps went up around the room. Somehow I just knew this wasn't a coincidence. "Everyone stay calm. There seem to be some sort of problem with the power. Try not to move. We'll get it checked out." My instincts were screaming at me to get Aria and my instincts usually were never wrong. Somehow I got the feeling she was a part of why they're here. I could hear a different set of footsteps than the ones that belonged to the guardians of this castle. I knew the difference. I made a quick decision. I was getting Aria to safety. I knew exactly where she was so getting to her wasn't a problem.

I was close enough to hear that 'mate' of hers call her name. My hand covered her mouth before she could answer. The cake slipped from her grasp and crashed to the floor. "It's me." Slowly I started pulling her backwards with me. "Zane?" That mate of hers was stilling calling frantically for her. "What's going on? Let me go. I have to find Blake." Even at a time like this she was still worried about him. "He'll be fine. They're not here for him. They're here for you...all of you."

"What the hell are you talking about? Let me go. I can't just do nothing in a situation like this."

"Will you be quiet? Are you trying to draw attention to us? I'm the only one that can keep you safe right now. So be a good girl and shut the hell up." I didn't expect her to actually listen to me, but she did. The alarm bells should have gone off sooner in my head because it wasn't in Aria's nature to back down like this. That's when I realized she was shaking.

"Aria?" A commotion broke out in the darkness ahead but my main focus was on Aria. Her breathing wasn't normal. "Aria what's wrong?" I was not one to panic, but in the given situation I came close to it. She started to take huge gulps of air. "I can't...the darkness." She panted heavily and I quickly turned her to face me. She was clutching at her chest and gasping. "I can't help you if I don't know what's wrong," I practically screamed at her."

"I can't...can't...I can't breathe."

"Look at me." I held her face between my palms. "Look at me! You're fine. I'm right here with you. Picture my face. Imagine that you're looking at me right now." It was almost as if she had stopped breathing all together. "Breathe Aria! You have to breathe!"

"The darkness...I keep seeing those faces." She started clawing at her chest. "Aria I'm right here with you. You don't have to be afraid. "Oh God...the memories...they're...I can't." It was obvious trying to talk her down wasn't going to do the trick so I did the only thing that seemed logical to me. I held her face more firmly between my palms as my lips descended on hers. It took a while for her heart rate to slow down and for the panicking to subside. She started to breathe normally again. The longer my lips stayed pressed against hers the calmer she became until we were both breathing as one and she started kissing me back. I pulled her closer and revelled in the feel of our lips pressed together. I wanted to keep it simple but she had other ideas. Her tongue probed the crease between my lips and I willingly parted them for her. For a minute I forgot where I was and what was going on around me. All of my attention was on this red haired beauty who was currently seducing me with her lips.

I should have picked up on the silence around me. It was when a startled gasp reached my ears that my brain started to work again. Reluctantly I pulled away. Sometime during our kiss the power had been restored. All eyes were on us. There was no doubt in my mind that they all saw what happened. That included her so-called mate as well. From the look on his face I was positive he saw what happened. Aria groaned under her breath when she realized the predicament she was in.

"So is this the kind of relationship that you two have?" His voice held no emotion whatsoever. 'Blake it isn't like that. You're misunderstanding the situation." She moved away from me and headed towards him. "A misunderstanding? From my observation and everybody else's you weren't crying out for any help, which means you were willing." She couldn't argue with that. "Don't you think you're overreacting? You don't even know what happened. I was having a panic attack." "I'm sure you were," he drawled. "If you want to behave like a slut the least you could have done is to do it when everyone isn't watching." Her mouth fell open.

"You really should get the details before you go accusing people Prince Blake." Venom dripped from my words. I was itching for a good fight. I just wanted him to give me a reason. "You really should stay out of other people's business your highness."

"That's enough." Aria's voice was loud and strong. I continued to look at him with a bored expression. At the end of the day Aria was mine and I could take her away from him just like that. "You better be careful little prince, or you'll really lose everything to me."

"Zane I said that's enough!"

More shock gasps went around the room. It was clear why. No one dared address me without my title in public. They always showed me respect. But this was my mate. She could do as she pleased. If anyone so much as questions it they'll suffer the consequences. Of course Aria was oblivious to it all.

"Do whatever you want Aria. I'm beyond caring."

He walked away from her without looking back. Indecision was evident on her face. She didn't know if she should go after him or not and she was stuck halfway between the both of us. What I really wanted to do was hold on to her and never let her go, but she had to make that decision on her own.

"Blake you can't leave the room." I didn't even notice the other brother standing there. "None of you can leave this room. There are enemies among us and in case you haven't noticed, our King and our Queen is missing." That got everybody's attention. I was positive they were here before the power went out. What exactly happened to them? "I don't care what kind of problems you have or where you have to go. None of us is leaving this room until I say so."

"Well isn't this a turn of events?"

"Where did you appear from Eli?"

"I've been around. You just didn't notice. We should leave. This is not our fight." Was he crazy? He wanted me to leave at a time like this? But what did I expect from him? Eli was never one to get involved in things he deemed unnecessary. "Do you feel that?" He looked at me and nodded. "There's a weird energy here. It's not safe for us to be here Zane."

"I don't care about your problem Blake! You're not leaving. So go find a corner to sulk in or help me sort out this mess so we can find out what happened to Alyssa and Adrian."

"Blake we should listen to Chad," Aria said. He didn't seem to want to listen to anyone.

"Childish isn't he?" I had to agree with Eli on that point. Of course the idiot didn't listen. He strode purposefully to the door. The presence I felt earlier was stronger now. There were more than one of them inside the room. "We're not alone." I spoke up for the first time. "Someone's here." I couldn't tell exactly where inside the room they were because they could not be detected with just the naked eye. They couldn't be detected with a witches eye either. Eli and I exchanged looks. This was the work of dark magic.

"Blake, wait. It's too dangerous for you to go off on your own now." That asshole didn't listen once again. He was almost at the door now with Aria not too far behind him. The moment he reached for the handle the door exploded.

"Christ! Are you out of your fucking mind?!" I had gotten there before she could end up a part of the explosion. There was a lot of screaming as the smoke from the blast spread around the room.

"Oh my God! Blake!"

Chaos. That's what it was. Everyone started running for the other exits and some of them even managed to escape through them. It was a mess. Aria fought against me, kicking and screaming. "Let me go! I need to go to Blake!" When kicking and screaming didn't work she turned to biting. I couldn't allow her out of my sight now. My concern was for her, not for him.

"Eli!"

"I'm on it. You should go." I nodded.

"Come on, we're leaving."

"No! Let go of me! I have to go to Blake!"

"Stop hitting me. No matter how much you do it I won't let you go. It's too dangerous."

"If you don't let me go I'll never forgive you. If he's dead and you didn't allow me to save him I'll never forgive you Zane! I won't." Tears streamed down her face. "Then I'll just have to live with that."

"I'm not leaving!" She struggled effortlessly against me. It was no use. If I had to take her away by force I'd do it. She faltered for just a second and I took that one opportunity to get us out of there. I'd rather she hate me than end up dead.

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT