Chapter 34 - Old flame

CHAPTER NOT EDITED

Chapter 34 - Old flame

Alexis

I was frozen. This was not happening. How were we supposed to fight something we couldn't see? Alyssa and Adrian were missing, and Blake might or might not be dead. "We have to get out of here." I gripped Chad's arm and started pulling him away. "Stop it. I can't leave. Alyssa and Adrian are missing, my brother might possibly be dead, and there is something in this place that we can't see. I cannot leave these people here by themselves. I'm the only one here that's capable of issuing orders."

"How are we supposed to fight something we can't see? Do you want to die? No. I don't care what you say; I'm getting you out of here."

"I'm not leaving the kingdom defenceless." He started barking out orders over the noise. I had already made the decision not to leave his side so I helped as best as I could by using my power to clear away the smoke. The guardians were doing their duty by taking care of the guests. When we could finally see through the smoke some of the guests had passed out. I didn't want to think the worst. Chad also never left my side and I ensured we stayed as close together as possible. I would protect him with my life if I had to. The safety of the kingdom was now in our hands.

The guardians seemed to have quieted down most of the guests. They also seemed to have worked out a system in guarding them. A soft breeze moved through the room and another explosion went off at the back of the room this time. The wall there had been blown to pieces. This was possibly the worst kind of nightmare. I can't do anything if I can't see my opponents. There was another gust of wind and another explosion rocked the room. Chad barked orders for them to evacuate.

Something cool passed directly by me and it was then that I connected the dots. Every time an explosion went off a cool breeze blew through. "Chad there's going to be another one!" "Everyone take cover!" They all went down just as another explosion went off. This one shook the walls and the ceiling started to collapse. If it continued we would all be buried alive. "No! Everyone stop moving. Slowly, you have to do it slowly. I'll try to hold off as much of the damage that I can."

"You've been holding up that ceiling for as long as possible. You must be tired. It's okay now. You can let go." Sweat poured down the side of my face. It took every ounce of concentration I had to keep the walls around us from crumbling and the ceiling from crashing down. "Is everyone out?"

"Yes."

"Did you find him?" He didn't answer. "Chad did you find him?" I barely managed to get the words past my throat. "No. There's no body."

"Look again!"

"Alexis you're exhausted. You did a good job. Everyone is out safe." Tthere was no way I was explains to my sister that her mate is dead without even a body. "Look again! If I break my concentration the whole ceiling will come down. Get help if you have to, just find him! I won't let go until you do." I knew I was pushing it. I was already too weak. It took us quite some time to get everyone out safely. I faltered a little and the ceiling started to crumble again. "You are the most stubborn woman I've ever met!"

"Chad, for once will you just do as I say." I felt dizzy. I was using up too much of my energy. Black spots danced before my eyes. My knees buckled. But even then when Chad held on to me and with the walls crumbling around us I still tried to hold it together. When I couldn't take it anymore, I let go. Something was reaching out to me and I wanted to follow it.

Something cool brushed against my cheek and I opened my eyes. "What happened?" His eyes held anger but his voice didn't mirror the look in his eyes. "You over exerted yourself and had a mild fever." I already knew that. "I meant after I passed out. Did you take care of things? Have you found Alyssa and Adrian yet? What about Blake? What happened to him? He isn't dead is he?"