Chapter 42 - Putting the pieces back together

Alyssa

The silence that followed the Sae's death was eerie to say the least. Everyone was in shock, or at least I think they were. I was kneeling by Dimitri's side. I wasn't sure if he was dead or not. "He's not dead," Zane said stopping beside me. "He just needs to heal." I nodded my understanding and thanks. Then moved to Adrian's side. He was coping a little better than Dimitri. "He shut down his body to prevent the pain," Zane said once again. I guess that would explain why. I didn't know what to do. "Do you mind if I took charge for a while until you get your bearings?" I was glad he even offered. I'm not sure I was up to my duties just yet.

"What are you all looking at? As you can see the witch is dead. Your queen is a little shaken up. I suggest you start getting rid of the bodies and take who needs to be taken inside."

The silent spell they were all under seemed to break under Zane's words and they all came rushing forward. The first thing Chad did was go to Alexis. I still found the love they had for each other really cute. Of course Alexis being who she is didn't make a big deal out of it. Once he was sure she really was fine he started taking charge of the guardians and the clean up. Blake seemed a little sceptical about going to Aria. We all knew she was fine, from her display earlier. But I could still see his dilemma. Being the awesome sister that I was, I decided to help. Zane didn't seem intent on leaving her side at all.

"Zane could you help me?"

I drew his attention away from Aria. Blake gave me a thankful smile and hugged her. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I'm glad I could give them this moment.

"What can I help with your majesty?" His eyes held in laughter. "Could you put those two closer together?"

"Is that such a good idea? The way I hear it they are not too fond of each other."

"Well they are both passed out and I am in charge right now. It's not about what they want."

"As you wish." He smiled.

"Is that..." Chad came over the minute Zane finished putting Dimitri beside Adrian. He made it easier for me to keep an eye on the two without moving. "That's impossible. He can't be alive." He knelt by Dimitri's side trying to figure out if it was a trick or not. "I assure you it's not a trick. I'll explain later. Well he'll explain when he's awake."

"Believe me, we were just as surprised," Alexis said.

I didn't want to cut short their reunion, but kneeling in the dirt wasn't something I could do much longer.

"You can ask all the questions later once we're inside and everyone has been debriefed. For now I want all the bodies that are not ours burned or buried. Take the bodies that do belong to us inside. Also that one," I pointed to Liah who was coming around. "I want her locked up. Chains would be ideal. I'll deal with her myself. Blake and Chad take Dimitri and Adrian inside and put them in separate rooms please. I also need someone to look for Kai." I hope he wasn't dead. This was the first time he's changed for so long and actually used up his abilities. "He might be in tiger form as well as he might not. Find him and take him inside. King Zane will be staying with us for a while." I turned to him enquiring if my assumption was right. He simply nodded. "Please have the servants prepare a room for him on the royal wing." They gasped. "What the hell are you all looking at? Get to it."

For the rest of the morning everything was quiet. I didn't miss the whispers that went around though. Some of them thought it was a trick that Dimitri was back. I'd have their heads for doubting me and him. Others were puzzled as to why I allowed Nate to stay. He was a traitor after all. But what could I do? Aria begged for his life and I just couldn't ignore that. Others were outright furious that I allowed someone outside the royal family on the royal wing. Who gives a rats ass what they thought anyway.