Chapter 8

Confusion & Lies

"And you told him everything?" Emma questioned as she poured the distraught girl in front of her a cup of coffee. They were back in the loft, alone, and were having a girl to girl talk. Evelina was in full pajamas and so was Emma. Her soft, fuzzy pj's bought comfort to the young girl.

"No. After a while, I caught onto his game. He doesn't need an honest answer, he just needs to be amused. I started, in a way, to mess with him, but in the end, I kinda just told him bits and pieces... I uh, actually sorta enjoyed telling him about myself," Evelina admitted to Emma. She then stuffed a sugar cookie in her mouth and Emma glanced up at her with concern.

"You liked it?" Emma questioned again. Evelina blushed red but nodded slowly.

"Weirdly, yes. But then I remembered he's the reason why everything is so screwed up here," she mumbled and Emma looked confused when she noticed her red blushing face. She didn't press on and instead decided to change the subject.

"We're going to Granny's for dinner today. You in?" Emma questioned and Evelina thought thoroughly. She wasn't up for breakfast dinner and honestly, was in the mood to walk around town just for the heck of it.

She knew it was an irrational thing to do but she couldn't help it. A walk always helped her feel better.

"No, thanks. I had a long day. I just want to stay in, eat ice cream, and feel pity for myself."

They both fell into silence until Evelina decided it was her turn to tease Emma about things as well. She peeked at the Savior and grinned mischievously.

"I hear Neal and Hook aren't exactly seeing eye to eye," she began and she visually saw Emma tense up at the mention of both their names.

"Emma?" Evelina whispered when she saw the girl had completely tensed up. Emma frowned.

"I don't know how to feel about either of them. With Neal, I have a past, but with Hook, I can see a future. Neal did too much to mess everything up, and I know it was with good intentions, but I don't think I can oversee that. And then there's Henry, who I know would love to have his mother and father together as one family. But I don't think I could ever love Neal in that same light again." Emma then turned away and gave a loud sigh.

"What about Hook?" Evelina continued and Emma took a sharp breath.

"We kissed on Neverland," she said.

Evelina's eyes widened, as she didn't expect it. She then cleared her throat before pressing on.

"And? Did you feel anything?" Evelina asked and Emma nodded slowly.

"Yes, " she admitted and Evelina squeaked. She wiped away fake tears and let out a heartfelt sigh.

"My otp... It's beautiful, you grow so fast."

"Shaddup," Emma growled and pushed Evelina off her chair. She giggled as she hit the floor until she realized something.

"Emma?"

"Yeah?"

"Where is everyone?"

"... I have no idea."

~

"Where were you?" Evelina snapped when she saw Snow and David walk into the loft. Evelina was now dressed into simple tight jeans, a v-neck black tee-shirt, and a leather jacket over her body (which was a gift from Emma for her birthday), and ratted flats that she definitely needed a new pair of.

She glared at the couple, who hadn't said anything.

"You were supposed to wait for me after I got out of the little tea party I was forced to go to!" Evelina snapped again. Snow glanced at David, who avoided all eye contact.

"We had an emergency call from the sheriff's office. We had to help Emma with something," Snow said.

"But we are sorry, and we promise we will make up for it," David continued.

Evelina scrunched her eyebrows.

"Fine. Excuse me, I'm going out," Evelina said sharply and left without another word. The Charming's didn't try to stop her.

As Evelina stepped out into the cold winter air, she began walking towards the docks, where she knew she would be alone.

They had lied to her. Right to her face. Evelina knew it was a lie, Emma was with her for the entire day after Evelina had to call her to go pick her up at City Hall.

Evelina frowned. It amazed her how sometimes, Regina, who was considered the worst villain to walk the land, was more responsible and understanding than Snow and Charming combined. Evelina didn't even have to ask Regina and Rumple to wait for her, yet they did. And right when she walked out of City Hall, they were both there to walk Evelina back home safely.

Because after you spend too much time with a monster, you need to have a feeling of comfort.

~

"Lied to you?"

"Right to my face. Can you believe it?" She snapped. She was still peeved on what had happened earlier. So now, Evelina was at the docks walking the beaches with Hook. He had become her venting person, besides Emma, and he had proven himself to be a good listener. Evelina was starting to see why Emma thought highly of the pirate. And Evelina did know David was completely against Emma's feelings for the pirate. He didn't like Killian because he was 'the villain'. Someone to fear. Of course, Evelina thought differently. Evelina knew Regina had changed. And if Regina can change, so can Hook. And it was clear he was trying his best to do so.

"I actually can believe it, love. Seems they're keeping something from you," he mused and Evelina huffed.

"I don't know how to deal with this. Do I just tell them I know they were lying? Or do I just let it pass?"

"That's completely up to you, Miss Frost," he said and they both fell into a short silence. The water crashing at Evelina's boots as they walked too close to the shore. But Evelina didn't mind. She loved the ocean and wished she didn't freeze the water when she touched it. For some reason, saltwater froze faster when she touched it than clean water.

Evelina didn't have siblings, unless she considered Henry one, and enjoyed the time she spent with Hook. They both had a lot in common, and Evelina also saw this as an opportunity to help Killian get together with Emma.

"Emma's father doesn't like it when she spends time with me... I can only imagine he doesn't like it when you spend time with me either," he suddenly said and Evelina chuckled softly.

"It's true, he isn't too fond of you. But he'll get used to you. It just takes time. He isn't used to working with the bad guys, as he would call you," Evelina said, using her fingers as quotation marks when she said the bad guy.

"I'm trying to change," Hook said quickly and Evelina nodded in agreement.

"And only the worthy will truly see it."

*unedited*