Chapter 30

'Joan' & Kristoff's Cold Adventure

Evelina and Kristoff talked aimlessly about many things. They didn't really have a topic they stuck to, and their conversation just sorta flowed everywhere.

Evelina had to be careful though. She couldn't give any real information away.

As the sled continued through the snow, both had fallen silent. They both tried to find a topic they hadn't already spoken of, and finally, Kristoff found one.

"What about your family, Joan?" He asked and Evelina shifted in her seat. It went unnoticed. Now she had to come up with a backstory to her fake character. She pierced her eyes before clearing her throat and speaking.

"Touchy subject. I don't really get along with my family." Evelina responded.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude-"

"No, no, of course not, you were just curious." Evelina reassured and Kristoff nodded slowly.

"Well I'll tell you about mine. I was an orphan, I only had Sven and ever since I was a child I harvested ice. I was technically adopted by the magical trolls in the mountains. Before I met Anna, I thought I was fine alone with Sven. Anna was searching for her sister when Queen Elsa had accidentally froze the entire kingdom. I met her at Oaken's while I was getting some nee material. She asked me to help her get up to the North Mountain. Anyways she almost died when her sister had struck ice in her heart. Overall, their love for each other saved the kingdom and I became the Royal Ice Master and Deliverer of Arendelle. I'm now engaged to Anna." He finished and Evelina smiled softly. She loved hearing stories of her family. It was nice hearing stories from Snow and Charming, but to actually hear it from a man who was engaged to her aunt, Evelina was over the moon. She was hearing exclusive stories, stories that nobody but Kristoff could possibly tell her.

"We've been engaged for a while now. We can't seem to find a good date for our wedding."

"And Royal Ice Master? Is that even a thing?" Evelina giggled and Kristoff chuckled.

"According to Anna it is." He responded. They continued to talk, and even Olaf jumped into the conversation as well. Once they had somewhat reached the bottom of the mountain, a small shack looking store sat there in the cold. Kristoff stopped Sven and jumped off before offering Evelina a hand off as well.

"Must get some supplies before we head off again." He mumbled and walked into the store quickly, for the cold was getting stronger.

Once they had walked into the curious little store, Evelina's eyes went immediately to the man behind the counter at the end of the store.

"Yoo-hoo, welcome back to Oaken's. We have rope, glasses, and a big summer blowout!" He said in a funny accent, one Evelina had to bite her tongue from laughing at.

"Summer blowout?" Evelina whispered to Kristoff. The blonde man nodded as he surveyed the shelves.

"Every winter he does this." Kristoff said as he finally grabbed carrots, some rope, new goggles, and new sharp picks. Once they had paid for the things, they had jumped back on the sled and headed for the castle.

"Are you cold?" Kristoff asked between his own shivers. Evelina shook her head but did pull her coat closer to her body.

"Just a little." She lied, and Kristoff snapped the reins, encouraging the reindeer to go even faster.

As they traveled through the slicing cold wind, Kristoff couldn't help but think how much this stranger looked very much like Elsa, the sister of his fiance. He remembered hearing rumors, many rumors of the oldest princess of Arendelle. Rumors like her having a secret admirer while she was locked away in her room. Rumors of her getting pregnant at a young age while she was still in isolation in fear of her out of control powers. Rumors of her getting pregnant by a guardian of the cold, just like her. Rumors of the baby being sent away for her own good to an unknown land. Rumors of the baby not surviving. Rumors of that same poor baby possessing the same powers as her parents. But they were all rumors. Rumors that couldn't be proven by anything. Kristoff believed Anna would tell him about something like that. Although he suddenly realized that if Elsa wasn't talking to her back then, Anna wouldn't know anything about the baby. Anna didn't even know about Elsa's ice powers until she was 21 at her coronation.

Kristoff shook his head suddenly.
No, that's impossible, Kristoff thought to himself as he pulled his mind away from the possibility of Joan being Arendelle's lost princess. Kristoff hit the reins again and Sven did all he could in his power to run faster.

They approached Arendelle quickly. The small buildings were covered in snow, and the castle stood proudly in the middle of the whole kingdom. They passed the foyer and Evelina narrowed her eyes when she saw a ship. The ship was partly destroyed, but like in an old antique kind of way. The sails were torn up in some areas, and the dark wood was bumpy with mold and mildew. Due to the fact that there was no wind, the flag wasn't flapping, so Evelina couldn't see where the ship was from. But she had sworn once in her life she had seen that ship. It was a very faded memory and Evelina's head was beginning to ache as she thought too much into it.

"We're nearing the castle, but I do have to ask-"

"Kristoff where is that ship from?" Evelina suddenly asked, interrupting what he was about to say. Kristoff's previous thoughts had been forgotten as he stopped Sven and peered over at the unfamiliar ship.

"I'm not sure." He said and snapped the reins once more. They began moving again.

They arrived at the castle gates. Two guards opened the gates and greeted Kristoff with a salute.

Evelina gasped up at the castle. Her eyes suddenly flickered. She began to realize that if she would have stayed with her mother, this castle would've been her home. She would've grown up playing in the castle gardens and courtyards and running through the halls. It pained Evelina to think she could have had an alternative life here in Arendelle.

"Finally. I was freezing my toes off." Kristoff said as he hopped off and led Sven into the stables. Evelina waited patiently, and once Sven was settled in his stable, Kristoff grabbed all his stuff and helped Evelina off.
Olaf giggled as he jumped off as well and hopped towards the castle.

"Come on Joan, before we both freeze out here." Kristoff said and smiled as Evelina caught up to his side.

"I just know you and Anna will get along greatly."

*unedited*