Chapter 34

Paintings

Evelina stood outside of the door that had been her room for one day. Pan had finally convinced her to leave the bedroom and she was now following the maid as she led the young blonde girl to the dining room.

"Breakfast is being served Miss." She said as she walked away. She left Evelina outside the room where everything was about to change. Evelina's hands turned sweaty all of a sudden before wiping her palms off on her dress.

"Come on, don't be a namby pamby Evelina." She snapped to herself. Evelina pushed back some of her blonde stray hair and took a deep breath. She finally gathered the last of her courage and walked inside.

The dining room was enormous. A giant ice looking chandelier hung from the middle of the bright room, over a beautiful mahogany long table. Evelina's eyes trailed to the table, where platters of food were beautifully displayed. Evelina counted hundreds plates of food, all filled with glorious dishes.

Almond kringler, Rommegrot, Lutefisk, Lefse, arme riddere, Krumkake, and much more. Evelina's eyes trailed down the line of the dishes. Evelina wasn't all too familiar with the foods, but she had heard of them. She had only heard of them, though, when Snow had decided to embrace Evelina's culture. Snow had decided one day, back when it was still Storybrooke, to make all sorts of Norwegian foods and made everyone try some. It had been a very interesting day, and everyone agreed never to let Snow experiment with other culture's recipes again.

Anna and Kristoff sat at the end of the table, with Kristoff at the head. Anna's eyes widened with excitement when she saw the pretty young blonde girl enter the dining hall.

"You're up, strålende! I hope you enjoyed your sleep." Anna rambled on about the cold nights in Arendelle while Kristoff gestured to a chair nearby. Evelina smiled and walked quickly towards them, being careful not to trip over the long dress she had on.

"I did very much, your grace." Evelina said, slightly bowing her head to the princess. Anna waved her off and shook her head.

"Please, just Anna will do!" She said before Evelina took the seat across from her. Evelina smiled gratefully as a butler came up to her and handed her a clothed napkin. Evelina smoothed it out and placed it on her lap.

"I hope you enjoy breakfast! Chef Magnus really outdid himself today." Anna said as she instantly began serving her plate. Evelina slowly reached out for some pancake looking things.

She gingerly ate it, concerned it would taste like how Snow had once made it.

Although the food was delicious, the food wasn't what was on the young girl's mind. As much as she enjoyed the chatting she did with the royal couple, she was still curious as to where her mother was. Where was the queen of Arendelle? Evelina was too afraid to ask.

"Good morning, Joan!" A happy voice suddenly said as they walked into the dining hall. Evelina turned to see Olaf walking in, a jump in his step and pure giggles pouring out of him. He happily hoisted himself onto a chair and looked out to everyone.

"I just ate a butterfly." He said calmly and Evelina raised an eyebrow before he began playing with Sven, the reindeer Evelina didn't see walk in.

"Come Joan, I would like to give you a tour of the castle!" Anna exclaimed and grabbed the girls arm after they had all finished their meal. Kristoff kissed Anna goodbye before walking away into another room. Evelina allowed herself to be pulled away by the cheerful princess. The crown on Anna's head nearly fell off and she blushed when she nearly toppled over her own feet.

"This is the ball room! Though we haven't had a party in such a long time, this is where my wedding will take place." She said happily. Anna twirled in the middle of the great giant room and laughed.

Next Anna decided to show Evelina the outside gardens. It was beautiful, and Evelina even got to play with a bunch of little cute yellow ducklings that had been swimming around the tiny pond they had.

"Come, there's still so much to see!" Anna exclaimed and pulled Evelina away again.

This time, Anna had pulled Evelina back inside the castle and into a room filled with many different paintings.

The young girl awed at all the beautiful paintings. Each one had a beautiful scenery to it. With each stroke, it all told a wonderful story.

Evelina watched as Anna threw herself onto the small couch under a certain painting. As Evelina got closer to it, her eyes slightly widened.

It was her mother. Anna noticed Evelina staring at the picture and she walked up next to Evelina.

"That's my sister, Elsa. This painting was made for her coronation for when she became queen." Anna explained and Evelina turned back to the painting.

In Elsa's hands were the royal staff and the royal globe. Evelina admired her mothers features, that were very much like hers. Just like Evelina, Elsa had huge blue eyes, a slim figure, and they even shared the same smile. Evelina noticed that although she did look a lot like her mother, Evelina had darker hair than her mother. She also had it longer.

"And check this one out." Anna said and pointed to another painting. This time, Elsa looked much happier. In the painting, Anna, Kristoff, Olaf, and even Sven were in the painting along with the queen herself.

Anna and Elsa sat on Sven, all showing wide grins. Kristoff lazily hung off the reindeer, with a sorta awkward smile. Elsa held onto Olaf and had a beautiful smile on as she stared straight ahead.

Evelina couldn't take her eyes off of the painting until Anna began talking to her again.

"This was one of the birthday gifts Elsa gave to me. It was a perfect day." Anna breathed happily. Evelina smiled unconsciously. Her eyes then moved to another painting. This painting had a man and a woman. Both with kind eyes. Both had brown hair and wore the clothes of a royal.

"Who are they?" Evelina asked and Anna looked up sadly to the painting.

"My mum and dad. Died in a shipwreck while on their way to my cousins wedding." Anna said. Evelina stared up to the painting.

Evelina had finally settled her eyes on her grandparents for the first time ever.

"They looked like wonderful people. Sorry for your loss." Evelina whispered and Anna nodded.

"Yes they were wonderful people." She mumbled once more before she let the black veil drop over their painting once again. Evelina sent her regards up to the sky before moving on to the next painting. She scrunched her eyebrows when she saw that this painting was in fact covered by a black veil as well.

Evelina slowly walked over to it. She reached over to move the veil. As her small petite hands moved the black thin cloth, Evelina nearly let out a sob. Her eyes filled with tears but she tried her hardest not to let Anna see. The strawberry haired girl walked next to Evelina before letting out a sad sigh.

"This painting was made mere days before her birthday. Elsa was going to turn 26. She died during an attack on the castle."

*unedited*

I'm not Norwegian. It is said that Elsa and Anna are Norwegian hence why Evelina is Norwegian as well. Those food dishes during the breakfast scene might not be accurate. Forgive me if they are not, google was not specific and I'm trying my best.

P.S- Does anyone know if those foods taste good? They looked good in the pictures...