Chapter 25

The Legend Behind Jefferson's Hat

The House of Charming was under a lot of stress when they realized Evelina had been officially missing for 24 hours.

David and Hook (who was now able to walk straight without hitting the floor) hadn't stopped searching the forest for her. Everyone was stationed all over town in attempts to find the girl, and Belle was in charge of searching through her many books in attempts to find any information on the blood letter that Evelina never finished translating. She was also in charge of watching over Henry while the adults searched for the blonde.

Henry was not happy to know he wasn't helping out.

"But I can help!" He had protested, but Regina shook her head.

"Stay here, help Belle, and don't try to do anything stupid." She had said before she left, again in search for Evelina.

Henry had kept his promise and didn't do anything but help Belle.

It wasn't until dawn had finally broken through that the Charming squad had decided to stop their search, in end coming to a conclusion. Which was that Evelina was simply not in Storybrooke anymore.

~

Hook sat on a chair with an ice patch up to his left eye.

"Explain again what happened?" Regina asked and the pirate groaned.

"Bloody Lost Boys. I swear, I will gut them all." He cursed as he continued to press ice onto his eye. David was no better. Snow carefully cleaned I've all the cuts in his face and checked to make sure her husband's arm wasn't broken.

David and Hook had been searching the forest when they were attacked by a group of Pan's Lost Boys. The two men had forgotten they still patrolled the woods, and instantly it became a fight for blood.

"Evelina wouldn't spend this much time in the woods anyways, she's afraid of excessive dark." Emma said. It was true, although Evelina could take the dark, she couldn't stand being in it for so long. Especially if she was alone. She didn't like being alone.

"Where's Belle?"

"Still trying to figure out the letter, dearie." Rumple responded.

~

Evelina rubbed her arms as she followed Pan closely. She would glance at her surroundings with fright, fearing something would jump out at her. Being in the forest, alone, with a well known demon wasn't exactly the best thing anyone could expect. Evelina was fearful of the woods in the dark, specifically what lurked in the forest at night.

She tried her hardest to stay closer to Pan but not too close. Pan sensed her nerves and turned back to look at her.

"Hold my hand." He simply said, and Evelina frowned slightly, her stubbornness now showing.

"I don't want to-"

"You're shaking with fear, love, know I won't let anything harm you." He said softly. But Evelina just narrowed her eyes.

"It's you I must fear." She snapped back. She shoved past Pan but instantly stopped when she realized she had no idea where they were headed to.

"Where... Where are we going?" She whispered quietly. Pan smirked at her and dropped his arm.

"Somewhere special." He simply replied and continued walking down the worn down path. Evelina took a sharp breath as she followed along. She wasn't going to get separated from Pan. She wouldn't make it in the forest.

She followed silently as she tried her hardest to stay at Pan's heel.

Evelina was getting tired of the silence that surrounded the air around the two teenagers. Evelina suddenly cleared her throat and fiddled with her thumbs. She knew she would have to dig deeper into how the hat worked so her plan could work.

"So, where'd you obtain the magical hat, Pan?" She said, trying to make casual conversation. Pan glanced back at her and smiled. He was beginning to believe the young Frostling was slowly warming up to him.

"Have you ever heard of the Mad Hatter? The man who was held captive by the Red Queen in Wonderland?" He asked and Evelina scoffed.

"Of course I have. He is a beautiful man, and if I were a couple years older, I would already be married to him." She said, her words truer than true. Pan didn't like her response but nonetheless continued his story.

"Well, years ago, back when Regina was the Evil Queen, she had required Jefferson's help in retrieving something the Red Queen had taken from her. Using the hat is simple, you literally just throw it and it begins to spin and well you know, you jump in." Pan stopped his story to wait for Evelina. He gave her a smirk.

"Or in some cases, you're pushed in." He said and Evelina scowled while crossing her arms. Pan chuckled before he continued his tale.

"There's a door to every single realm you could possibly imagine. But only the one's I have traveled to the most are the ones that we just saw on display." Evelina nodded slowly. She continued to make small talk as the two walked side by side through the dark jungle.

"There is one thing I hate about the hat. Say, you travel to the Enchanted Forest with me. It's two of us. Two people crossed that mirror, only two can return back. That's how Regina left Jefferson in Wonderland to fend for himself. Regina had gone to Wonderland to get her father back after being held captive. Since only two people crossed the mirror, Regina and Jefferson, one of them had to stay since only two could cross again to go back. In this case, it was Regina and her father." Evelina listened quietly as Pan told his story.

"Jefferson stayed prisoner to the Red Queen. He only way he was going to be able to leave was if he made her another one of these." Pan suddenly whipped the hat out and showed it to Evelina. She nodded slowly.

"Poor Jefferson. I should make him a casserole next time we have a tea party." Evelina commented. The two fell into a dull silence, with only the sounds of the jungle to entertain them.

"Peter Pan... Have you ever heard of how children's storybooks portray you?" She suddenly asked and Pan peered at Evie with curious eyes.

"No..." He said slowly and cautiously. Evelina gave a sudden grin which then turned into a smirk.

"Oh, you're in for a treat."

*unedited*