Chapter 38

Letters

Pan grunted as he jumped onto the balcony he knew was once Elsa's. He cleared his throat and walked inside silently. Evelina still laid there, with no sign of ever waking up from her deep slumber.

Pan huffed as he knew he would have to return to New Storybrooke soon. Of course he didn't plan leaving Evelina behind. He couldn't. He and his queen would return to their kingdom. And he hoped everything would be better between them.

Peter smiled as he neared the bed. Evelina's face was still a bit paler than usual and her cheeks were streaked with dry tears. She looked completely worn out. He debated whether to carry her home or wake her up.

He chose the latter.

He slowly sat down and kissed Evelina's forehead.

"Love, wake up." He whispered softly. He nudged her slightly. Evelina groaned and swatted Pan's face away.
Peter chuckled lightly and once again he kissed her forehead softly.

"Love please wake up." He tried once more. This time, the ice princess awoke with tired and red eyes. She looked up slowly and smiled a little when she saw Pan. But it slowly dissolved away when she remembered what had happened the night before.

"Hello." She said softly and sat up. The young ice princess yawned and began to rub her eyes in attempts to get rid of the sleep that had taken over.

Pan suddenly regretted waking her up. He didn't know what to tell her. So instead, he wrapped his arms around her small body and held her tight. Evelina sunk into his touch and rested her chin on his shoulder.

Pan wanted her to feel safe.

Pan wanted to kiss her. But he debated whether or not to do so. He didn't want to overwhelm the girl. And he sure as hell didn't want his first kiss with Evelina to be at such a rough time for her.

He decided to pull away instead. He patted her head and caressed her cheek. Evelina blushed lightly. She then turned away and frowned.

"Don't. I bet I look hideous." Evelina mumbled and lowered her head. Pan chuckled softly and lifted her face up again.

"Don't hide yourself, gorgeous." He whispered. Evelina smiled but then her face dropped and she stood up. Peter frowned slightly and watched as she walked to the mirror.

"Love, we're going to have to leave soon." He said.

"I don't know how to feel." She responded.

"Feel happy. You're going to see those disgusting Charmings again." Pan spat and Evelina giggled.

"They're not disgusting. They're quite... Well charming."

Pan scowled.

"I specifically don't like that one handed pirate." Pan grumbled. Evelina shook her head, completely amused before she turned to face Pan. She had a beautiful smile on her face before she walked back to the bed where Pan still sat.

"He's not technically a Charming. Besides he's my friend." She said simply. Her award winning smile never left her face. Pan neared her face and raised an eyebrow.

"A bloody pirate." He mumbled and Evelina hummed. She laid down again and placed her chin on the palm of her hand and grinned at Pan.

"He's sweet."

"Please stop." Pan groaned. He didn't want Evelina thinking that the captain of the Jolly Roger was sweet. The girl chuckled and propped her upper body up. Her elbows sunk into the soft mattress as she began to broad her hair into the infamous French braid that her mother always wore.

Peter looked away when his eyes had been drawn to her chest. He cursed at himself for having such impure thoughts.

"Evelina?"

"Yes?" She questioned. Pan took a deep breath before speaking again.

"We have to go back, love. We've been gone long enough." He repeated once more. Evelina fiddled with her newly done braid and she nodded slowly.

"Yes. I know." She whispered and stood up off the bed and walled over to the cushioned chair, where her shoes sat. She slipped them on and turned towards the door.

"Should I say good bye?" She questioned and immediately, Pan opposed.

"They'll question how you're going to get home." He retorted and Evelina frowned.

"But they're my family-"

"I get it! But we can't have anything hold us back anymore, Evelina, we need to get back." Pan finally snapped sternly. It was then that Evelina fell silent. Pan had a frown on his once relaxed face and she knew it would be best to keep quiet.

"Fine. But I'm leaving a letter." She said and Peter rolled his eyes. But nonetheless he whipped out a piece of parchment, a quill, and ink.

Evelina snatched it from him and she began to write.

Anna & Kristoff,

     I'm sorry for my sudden departure. I'm sure if you knew the whole story you would understand. I thank you for your generosity. It takes a lot to invite a stranger into your home, even if you are the rulers of the land. I must confess though, my name isn t Joan. I think at some level you didn't believe me either, but I believed it was for the best to keep my name to myself. The circumstances weren't safe at the moment. Now, after learning Queen Elsa has passed away, I believe it's safe to say nothing went the way I had once  planned. My true name is Evelina Frost, and about 17 years ago, only a couple months after my birth, I was sent away to live with my father, Jack Frost. My mother was about to start running a kingdom, and I knew I wasn't wanted when I found out she had given birth to me at such a young age. I understand that for a queen, it is a disgrace to have a baby when you aren't even married.

     But please don't worry about me. I come from a land without magic. Raised but not born there. There, I have a wonderful family that I would have hoped you could meet. It's a joyous group. The women who raised me is lovely, the man who raised me is charming, and their daughter is a savior. I have plenty of friends and you need know I am in no danger when I'm with them. And in a way, I'm being courted by a boy, only a year older than me. He is what you would call a special case-

"Hurry up Evelina. What are you writing, a novel?" Pan snapped and Evelina suddenly glared at him before turning back to the letter.

A very special case. I'm not quite sure about him, but I know he helped me through a harsh time. But he isn't exactly a saint either. Once again, I must insist you need not worry about me.

     Kristoff, I must thank you specifically. I realize now I would have found myself lost or hurt on the mountain if you hadn't found me. It was very generous of you to bring me to my destination. You didn't need to, but you helped a stranger in need. And for that I owe you.

     Anna, I am deeply sorry for your loss. I didn't meet Elsa, but I'm sure she was a wonderful person. According to the fee stories I an always told, she was stubborn, much like you and I. I apologize for leaving so abruptly, but I must be returning to my home. I'm sure everyone is quite worried about me. No, I will probably never come back. And if I do, please understand, speaking to you would be full of too much grief. But know this I'm sure we would have been close, of we had ever had the time to sit and talk. I'm sure we have more in common than you would have guessed.

"Seriously Evelina let's go-"

"Shut the hell up, Peter Pan and stop interrupting me!" Evelina suddenly snapped and Pan fell silent. He sat back down on the bed and grumbled to himself.

     I wish you both nothing but the best. I hope you both have the wedding you have always imagined. And I hope its spectacular. Forgive me for leaving without even saying goodbye. Forgive me for not staying. Forgive me for never trying to find my way home until now. Appearently now was too late for me. And please especially forgive me for never saying I was Elsa's long lost daughter.

Thank you. For everything,

Evelina Frost

*unedited*