Chapter 10

Find Her

It's not like Killian had much of a problem saving Evelina. He would do anything for the youngster.

But when her friends, especially Snow and David, began hinting that it was his fault that she got hurt, it made him furious as to how they will never see anything but a villain.

And when Evelina stood up for him, claiming he had saved her life instead of perishing her, his respect for her increased drastidally.

They now waited for Rumpelstiltskin, so he could as well hear what had happened. Killian felt Emma's eyes on him and he knew she was trying to read him. It made the pirate a bit unsure of how to feel so instead he just stared out the window and waited for the crocodile.

"He's here," Emma announced and everyone turned towards the door to see Rumple walk in.

"Let's begin, dearie," he said and Hook took one last glance at Evelina before telling the tale.

~

"Voices?" Regina questioned and Killian nodded.

"Aye. She kept saying it was her mother calling her," Hook said. Emma's eyebrows scrunched up.

"That's impossible, Elsa is back in Arendelle," she said.

"It definitely wasn't Elsa. The voices Evelina heard were the twisted job of Pan. He was playing with her mind," Rumple said once he heard everything he needed to hear.

"What I don't understand is why he seems to be targeting Evelina..." Baelfire said and everyone turned to the Dark One for an answer.

"Something about her must intrigue him."

~

It didn't take long for Evelina to restore her energy again. She woke up with a pang of hunger so strong that she nearly fell off of the bed.

"Feeling any better?" Henry asked from the kitchen table. Evelina scoffed.

"No. My head is pulsing out of control," she mused as she massaged her temple.

"Wanna eat something?" Henry asked and Evelina nodded.

"Yes, I'm beyond hungry," she said and stood up from the bed. Henry pushed over his plate of half-eaten pancakes as Evelina approached him and she didn't even question it as she began to eat it all up in one breath.

"Evelina?"

"Yeah?"

"About those voices you heard... did you really think it was your mom?" Henry questioned curiously. She slowed her chewing and her eyes narrowed ever so slightly.

"Yes. There was something about the voice I heard... I know I have not heard my mother's voice in years, never ever really, but it made me feel like, if I ever heard my mother's voice, that's what it would sound like. Does that make sense?" Evelina asked as she peered over to Henry. The boy nodded before looking away.

"They're thinking about making you leave, Evie," Henry suddenly told her. He had been sworn to secrecy by his grandparents but he couldn't keep it from his friend. Evelina looked up abruptly with wide eyes.

"What?"

"They say it's for your own safety. It's obvious Pan wants something from you, and the grown-ups believe if you were to leave Storybrooke, it would ensure your safety."

"My safety? And what, live on the streets by myself? I don't know anything about the world beyond our magic!" Evelina screeched and Henry raised an eyebrow.

"But when you go with Jack-"

"When I go with my father, I don't go around mingling with the nonmagical folk, Henry. I go and travel with him and just help deliver winter. They can't see me, or him as a matter of fact, and it's at night! I don't know what nonmagical people even eat or how they get a house!" Evelina shrieked as she pushed her plate of food away. Henry looked somewhat amused at the girl before speaking again.

"They eat exactly what we eat, Evie."

"That's beyond the point!" She whined and suddenly, in complete anger, stood up and ran out of the loft. She didn't stop, not even when she heard Henry yell after her to stop. Not when she practically pushed Emma to the ground as she passed the poor blonde on the sidewalk.

And she sure as hell didn't stop when she saw Snow and Charming walking quickly towards Emma, who was still on the floor looking after Evelina with a confused look.

Evelina just didn't stop.

~

She finally decided to stop running.

Evelina was out of breath. Her hair was everywhere, her face flushed red, and her legs gave out. She sat on the floor, panting as she tried her hardest to calm her harsh breathing before she got an asthma attack.

"Oh god, I'm way out of shape," she whispered to herself as she cracked her back. Her legs screamed at her to take a rest and she obliged.

Evelina fought back the tears that suddenly filled her eyes. She didn't care much for the damp sand of the beach beneath her. She decided to cry.

It was early noon and Evelina knew she wasn't going to return back to the loft for a good couple of hours or at least until she was out of tears. She was emotionally drained. Physically too.

She couldn't believe what Henry had told her, yet she had no choice but to. She didn't want to believe the Charming's would ever let her leave. She didn't think Emma would allow her to go out into the unknown world all by herself, yet she could see it.

She knew the Charming's, more so Snow and David weren't as heroic as they wanted everyone to see them as. They made mistakes, they are human after all, but they took their beliefs and jobs as hero's too far. Evelina knew they judged Killian for the worse, given his previous past. But even after he had saved Evelina's life, he had done much to deem himself a good guy. David didn't want to see it.

For once, Evelina didn't want to return home. She didn't want to be in the comfort and protection of the Charming's loft. She didn't want to be among heroes. She didn't want to be in a town where a monster ruled all. She didn't want to be sitting by herself on the beach with tears streaming down her cheeks.

She just wanted to be home.

But Evelina wasn't exactly sure where home was anymore.

~

"Stupid child. When will she ever learn," Peter Pan mused as he watched Evelina cry by herself on the beach through the magical mirror in the mayor's office. He watched as her tears flowed freely down her cheeks, slowly turning into ice and shattering as they hit the ground.

A small snow cloud was over the blonde girls head, with soft snowflakes falling over her, yet she didn't notice.

Pan found it interesting how such a small girl could have control over such a dangerous power. If he could, he would steal her power away, if only he knew how.

He found it amusing to watch her use her powers without even being aware of it. He couldn't tear his eyes away as more snow drifted down from the cloud and landed softly and perfectly in her hair, nearly blending in. She obviously struggled to control the snow.

"Pan?" One of Pan's Lost Boys walked in after being summoned. Pan turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

"Find her and bring her to me. Do not fail me."

*unedited*