Chapter 18

Valentine's Day

Pan didn't know how to respond. Why was he there? There were so many reasons. His thoughts took over and he nearly missed Evelina standing in front of chills as he lost himself in thought. Pan cleared his throat before his face once again hardened.

"That is my business and my business alone, Evelina," he grumbled. Evelina frowned as she watched Peter's eyes darken. She wanted to growl but instead she held it in. She turned around with no other word said and began walking away quickly.

This time, Pan didn't bother to follow.

~

February 14th, Valentine's Day

"The day of red, pink, chocolates, and disappointments," Evelina said when Henry reminded her of the horrid holiday. Evelina wasn't a big fan of the holiday, simply because she didn't celebrate it as one would.

Once, a boy asked her out on Valentine's Day but got frightened away when he came to pick up Evelina for their date and saw David instead. David scared the boy away.

Hence, Evelina had given up on Valentine dates.

But it didn't mean she would do her best to help others have a good time.

"Any plans for tonight, Evie?" David asked as he clomped down the stairs.

Evelina glared his way, for he knew she did not and David felt a great accomplishment knowing his Evelina was going to stay innocent by keeping unwanted boys away.

"Sure, I'm staying here and plan on eating the entire fridge while watching Sleepless in Seattle for the hundredth time," Evelina said and Emma, who had just walked in, turned towards her suddenly and said, in a serious voice,

"I love that movie."

Evelina grinned and bit into a pear.

"I can't wait to smother myself with chocolate cake and ice cream," Evelina breathed and Henry peered at her before standing up.

"I'll be upstairs if you need me," he said, not really wanting to participate in any Valentine activities.

Evelina smiled as him before he left and looked back down to her sad looking pear.

"What're you doing tonight, Emma?" Evelina asked and she watched as Emma slightly froze.

"Well, I uh, uh, well, Hook asked me out for dinner-"

"Henry! Henry, you owe me five dollars!" Evelina interrupted loudly as she flapped her arms in excitement. Emma rolled her eyes.

"But I said no."

Evelina suddenly stopped her cheering and looked at Emma with wide eyes.

"But why?" She asked. Before Emma could give an answer, the teen gave a loud, dramatic gasp and her small hands flew to her mouth.

"Did Neal ask you out?" She demanded. Emma looked like she was about to deny.

But she didn't.

"Well no but-"

"I don't know how I feel about Neal..." She interrupted again and sat back down. Emma rolled her eyes.

"I'm going out with Red, Belle, Ashley, and I think even Regina's going to drink with us," Emma said and Evelina raised an eyebrow.

"Madam Mayor partying out with the big boys... wow," Evelina teased and Emma chuckled.

"Well considering it's at her house..." Emma said, referring to the fact she and her girls would be hanging out at the Mayor's house, drinking and gossiping about normal lady things.

Evelina chuckled but got serious.

"If I were you, I'd leave before David gets out of the bathroom," she informed and Emma took it as a key to book it out of there. She ran out the door while waving sloppily at the young girl, all while grabbing her coat.

"Where's Emma? I thought I heard her voice," David questioned as he walked out. Evelina turned to give him her sweetest smile before shaking her head.

"Oh darn, you just missed her," Evelina drawled with her sweet, over exaggerated smile. David just gave her a lopsided grin before he nodded and slipped on his leather jacket.

"Snow and I will be back later. Stay inside and don't open the door for anybody. We all have keys," David said all while placing a light kiss on Evelina's head before he rushed out.

Evelina was then left alone. She was glad the grown-ups weren't letting Pan get in their way of a happy Valentine's, but it also scared her. She just hoped they would all be alright.

She grabbed some snacks from the fridge; some cookies, ice cream, leftover fudge, and some pie Snow had made that morning for breakfast.

"Henry! Would you like to eat some pie with me while we watch Sleepless in Seattle?" She yelled up to the boy. She heard rapid footsteps run down the stairs and saw a strange look on Henry's face. One that could only be described as an, are you serious look.

"No thanks. I'll be upstairs reading some comic books and watching cartoons," he simply said and ran back upstairs. Evelina shrugged and clicked on the movie. She settled down comfortably and relaxed her back into the soft sofa.

She was about 30 minutes into the movie when she suddenly realized something.

"Wait a minute, there's no T.V. upstairs..."

The young girl quickly sprung out of her seat, cookies and chocolate cake flying everywhere, and she ran upstairs, all while stuffing an Oreo into her mouth.

"Henry?!"

When she finally reached the top, a horror was before her.

Henry's room was completely empty.

And the damn window was wide open.

~

"Henry!" Evelina screamed as she walked through town. She spit out her hair that traveled into her lips by the wind and frowned.

"I swear, I will hurt that boy," she muttered and was then startled by a chuckle.

"Why am I even surprised by you any more?" Evelina snapped and turned around, only to see Pan standing before her. The boy smirked at her before taking a step closer, now more in the light. Evelina took the chance to look over him. He wasn't in his usual Neverland attire. Now he was dressed out in a plain black shirt with a blazer over him, jeans and his regular boots. Evelina raised an eyebrow.

"What's with the new wardrobe?" She questioned and Pan chuckled.

"It's Valentine's Day, dear Evelina, and I have come to learn that it's tradition for a lady to have a date," he said and Evelina felt herself swoon.

For like a millisecond.

"How can you still believe you have a chance with me? I don't even know what you want from me!" Evelina snapped. Pan's smile didn't waver as he grabbed her hand and gave it a light kiss. She scowled at him before yanking back her hand and wiping it against her shirt.

"A date for tonight. That's all I'm requiring," he said and Evelina scoffed.

"I have to go find Henry," she simply said and began walking the other way, only to stop again when she heard footsteps behind her.

"Well then let me help you," he said and continued to walk beside her.

Evelina didn't deny him.

*unedited*