14

Haynes' POV

I was a doctor, I had to deal with rebellious teenagers. I'm good, Eliza should be more relaxed. I finished breakfast and took it out into the living room. Gracie was still on her phone, looking so bored. 

"So, what do you like to do?" I asked.

"Uh, nothing." She replied.

"Okay, why do you rebel?"

She rolled her eyes, "Like you care."

"I'm pretty sure I do."

"You're like every other adult, I have ever talked to. You're only asking to make conversation." 

"Right, when I worked in the ER, there was this girl, I would say around your age. She kind of acted like you too, but she came in because she broke her arm. Her parents were so worried, they asked her how it happened and she didn't want to budge. I told the parents to wait in the waiting room. Anyways, I tried to bond with her, but it didn't work. She was glued to her phone. I told her about the time when I was in high school, I sprained ankle, I was trespassing in some dude's yard, a bunch of friends and I went swimming in this stranger's pool. He came out and started to yell, I think he even had a shotgun. But I had to jump the fence and that's how I sprained my ankle. I was so happy the cops didn't catch me. You know what that girl said?"

Gracie didn't seem fazed. 

"She asked me how much trouble I was in. I told her about how my dad didn't care about me. I came from a rich family, he had already given me a credit car, so I just used that to pay my own medical bills. That girl took her eyes off her phone and looked off to the side. I told her that I would've loved for my dad to at least asked if I were okay. To this day, I still don't get that. I told her that her parents care. They might be pissed for a while, but it's worth it because at someone cares."

"What happened next?" Gracie asked.

"I brought her parents back in, she told us what happened and her parents were a little angry, but they were happier that she was okay.  Every other day, I had to see a loving family, then go home to my apartment, expecting at least a call from my dad. I might be twenty seven years old, but I still relate to teenagers."

"Why did you quit? You seem to enjoy it."

"I enjoyed seeing people be happy with their families, that's true. But I hated seeing the families that lose someone or someone who doesn't have one person who would want to visit. Also, medicine was never really my passion. it was always art. I only went to med school to make my dad proud."

"Is he proud?"

I shook my head, "When I was working there, he didn't care. He never spoke to me once. Then I quit and he was pissed. It took a lot not to flip out on him."

Gracie looked down and put her phone away. 

"So, why do you rebel? I did it for at least one person to care." 

"Chloe is the favorite. Being the younger sibling sucks, every one expects me to be just as good as her. Back home, teachers were shocked when I told them that I had a learning disability. They would get so confused when I couldn't figure out a simple math problem. You know how many times I had to hear, 'oh, Gracie, but your sister was great at math,' about a thousand times. It's a nightmare."

"Yeah, my older brother is a lawyer. Going to high school sucked. It was always, but you're Edwin's little brother, you should be excelling in all of this."

"And hearing it over and over again makes you feel so stupid. Like I should be as smart as her. No matter how much you study or put forth, you always get a D or a F."

"Is that why you got suspended?" I asked.

"I got suspended because I was wearing stupid leggings." She rolled her eyes.

"What's the real reason? You know how to manipulate people."

"I got into a fight with a teacher because she wanted me to go up to the board and do this simple math problem that everyone else knew how to do. Some kids even had their hands up." Gracie was starting to get worked up. 

"You didn't know it, did you?"

She shook her head, "So, I lashed out. I called the teacher a cunt and flipped my desk. She grabbed me and I pushed her. I grabbed my shit and went to the office. I just sat there until the teacher called the principle. She was going to call the cops. I begged her not to lie to my sister and she did."

"Eliza is going to be really busy tomorrow. I assume your sister and her guy are too. What do you say I go to the school and talk to the teacher and principle." 

"Seriously? What would you even say to them?" 

"I would tell them whatever I can to get your story straight."

"I don't want them to know that I'm stupid."

I shook my head, "You're not stupid. Trust me. I've been in your boat way too many times."

"Okay fine." She added.

"The only thing is, you're going to have to be with me when the meeting is going on."

"No, I can't. I don't want to go back there." Gracie got nervous. 

"Listen, you're going to have to face this. After high school, you don't have to go to college. Find your passion and go from there. I wish I would've done that." 

"You promise to be by my side the whole time?"

I nodded, "High school is such a small world. Wait until you graduate." 

She smiled and hugged me. She thank me and I said anytime. I hate seeing kids give up so quickly. It's sad. 

"So, life after high school is big? What has been your biggest problem with it?" 

"Probably death. I've seen so many people die around and the one person, who I never thought would die, did anyways." I added.

"Oh right, because you were a doctor and got close to your patients." 

I nodded, "Yeah, that's the only reason why."

Just then Eliza walked in, she looked pissed. This will make for a great story. I already promised that I would keep the whole Gracie situation a secret. Trust me, I'm great at secrets. Benn keeping one for way too long.