32

After we talked for what felt like hours, we headed to bed. Well, I did. He said he wanted to stay up a little longer, that he wasn't too tired. I knew he just wanted to think about things that happened to him today. I didn't question it. I just want to know what's going on with his personal life. We've been dating for like months, I at least want to know the jist of it. Like does it have something to do with his family? His old roommate? Party Pete? I just want to be closer to him.

The next morning rolled around and I didn't see Haynes when I woke up, I just assumed that he went to work. I planned on going into work early and getting somethings done, so I wouldn't have to worry about all that work. I changed into a dark green t-shirt with blue skinny jeans, black converse and a dark blue jeans jacket. I walked into the kitchen. I didn't see any food laying out or a note. That's weird. I walked into the living room to see Haynes passed out on the couch with a bottle of Jack Daniels almost completely empty. I was worried about him, but didn't want to wake him. So, I just made myself a bowl of cereal and wrote him a note. After I finished the cereal, I went to work.

I knew Donnie wasn't going to be in until noon, which was perfect for me. I got the studio all to myself for a few hours. I need this free time. It's always nice to have some me time. However the second I leaned back into Donnie's chair, someone knocked on his door and walked in.

"I'm having an issue and you're the fir-" this kind of tall guy with short brown hair and big brown bug eyes stared at me very confused.

I stared at him the same exact way.

"You are not Donnie." He pointed out.

"Actually I am. I take offense that you don't recognize me."

He look mildly concerned.

"You know I'm kidding, right?"

He nodded, "where is he?"

"Probably at home?"

"No, he's not."

"Then I can't help you."

He looked down at the carpet and then his head quickly shot up, "you possibly could."

"I choose not to help out my co worker's friends."

"I'm not his friend. I'm his son, adopted son."

I stared intensely at him with a large amount of confusion.

"Right, how rude of me, I'm Josh."

"He has a son?"

"Yeah, that would me. Didn't he tell you?"

"Obviously not. What'd you need help on?"

"My frat is throwing a huge party and they want a concert with at least 3 bands or singers." He replied.

I smiled a little, this is perfect marketing for my job, "I'll help you out. What kind of music?"

"I already got one band and they're alternative, but we're open to any genre." He added.

"What band you got?" I questioned.

"American Wasted. The keyboard player is in my frat."

"I didn't know Bentley was in a frat," that's something to think about, "but I do them."

"So, you got other people?"

I nodded, "but my friends and I are invited and you have to stay to help me out."

With a huge grin, he said, "yeah of course anything! Thanks for helping out."

I made a few calls and got a bunch of bands and singers lined up. As they began to show up, I was getting to know more about Josh. Like how he's studying hotel management and the whole story of his adoption. To make the long story short, Donnie was practically forced into it when he was like 20 something. I didn't get all the details, but that still must've sucked. But he still kept it from me. I have no idea why. How could you keep something so big from someone you've known for a long time?

Anyways, we found some singers and bands for Josh's party. While Josh was talking to them and explaining all the details, I went back into Donnie's office. There was someone in there and too my surprise it wasn't Donnie. It was Party Pete. More confusion today, just what I asked for. He was looking at the records in the office. I cleared my throat and he turned around a little surprised. He was wearing a black t-shirt with a spider on it, dark grey jeans, dark red shoes and a black snapback.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Um, don't tell Haynes this, but I lost my job."

"Why are you telling me?"

"Because I don't know who else to tell."

"Why did you lose your job?"

"Damn you ask a lot questions," he pointed out trying to make fun of the situation, "but turns out partying every weekend doesn't cut it in the real world. Especially when you work at rehab center for alcoholics and drug addicts."

I nodded, "yeah, I would imagine that's how it works."

He walked over to me, "you won't tell right?"

"And why would I not tell?"

"I was the kid that everyone said wouldn't be successful. High school through college I've been living the same lifestyle. Parties and job hopping. Even Haynes thought I wasn't going to last. He was so proud when I past the 2 year mark of working at the rehab center. A commitment no one thought was possible for me, especially him. I look up to him, okay? He's like the big brother or dad I never had."

"Fine, I won't tell him."

"That's great, thank yo-'

"But, you're working here for me. As a secretary." I interrupted.

"Alright. I've always liked music."

"Yeah, who doesn't."

I made him start today. He had to make coffee runs, call Donnie and attempt to get him into work. Apparently he's been MIA for a bit. And I have no idea how I'm keeping this secret from Haynes. I just told him about that stupid kiss and now I have to keep something else from him? Oh boy. Well, wait, he's been keeping his ex roommate secret from me, so why can't I keep this from him? Plus I could really help out Pete. He seems like he needs it.