Unleashing The Fury

Unleashing The Fury

Chapter 23

Meredith's POV

   The next morning...

   I woke up an hour ago when my alarm went off at six. I wanted to wake up extra early to freshen up and appear as chipper as I can for work. I also don't want to scare anyone, especially Alex and my patients by looking like a zombie. I take a nearly 30 minute shower because I have't had the chance to shower in days. I have very good hygiene but I honest to god have barely had time to breathe, let alone take a shower. When I get out of the shower, I'm greeted by a concerned Alex. 

    "Mer, babe are you feeling any better? I've never seen you so upset as you were last night. I'm really worried about you. I don't even know if you should go into work today. If you're not feeling up to it, I can call Bailey and tell her you need another day off." "No Alex I'm feeling a bit better." He can sense the doubt in my voice. "I don't believe you, but I also know you have patients to see and work is vital to your sanity. Though if Amelia or Owen gives you any grief, do you give me permission to tell them off?" I nod. He kisses my cheek. "Thank you Mer. Now I'm going to make us some good blueberry pancakes and then we'll go to work just the two of us. I already talked to Maggie and she said Webber would give her a ride this morning." I lean my head on his shoulder. "Thank you." "Anything for you Mer." 

1 hour later...

      We just got to work. The ride was peaceful not having Maggie or Amelia on my back about anything. Maggie tends to ask a million questions and Amelia just loves to bitch about anything and everything. I really hope I don't run into her today, but I just know it's bound to happen. Alex walks with me to clock in and to go see my first patient. I know he's trying to be protective, but I don't need him to guard me every second. Just with my luck, Amelia stands in front of my patients room, blocking the doorway so I can't go in to see him. Annoyance and rage instantly consumes. Alex holds me back and he tells me he'll take care of this.

   Alex's POV

     I know Amelia was Derek's sister and she's family to Mer, but she fucking pisses me off all the time. She's whiny, attention seeking, mean, and manipulative. Mer watches me pull Amelia off to the side and her jaw drops. "Amelia, just what in the hell makes you think you can treat Mer the way you do? I get that you guys don't agree on everything, but bringing Derek into every argument is low, even for you. So just back off and leave her alone." She smirks. "Who died and made you king of the world Alex? Seriously, I'd like to know. As for what goes on between Mer and I, that's none of your business." 

     The edge in my voice rises. "IT IS MY FUCKING BUSINESS WHEN YOU THINK YOU IT'S FUN TO PULL MER A PART AT THE SAME TIMES! MER'S FIVE TIMES THE PERSON YOU'LL EVER BE. I TOLERATE YOU FOR MER'S SAKE, BUT JESUS AMELIA YOU'RE SUCH A GODDAMN BITCH. I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW OWEN PUTS UP WITH YOU."  Mer mouths to me. I squint trying to make it. She motions for me to turn back slightly. When I do, I'm face to face with Owen. I curse to myself.

     "Karev you leave Amelia alone right now. You don't have the right to speak to her like that. You know she does the best she can to function. She's been through a lot." I take a menacing step toward him and poke him in the chest. "AMELIA HASN'T NEARLY BEEN THROUGH AS MUCH AS MER. MER HAS SURVIVED HAVING HER HAND IN BOMB CAVITY, A DEADLY SHOOTING, A PLANE CRASH, HER MOM'S DEATH, GEORGE'S DEATH, IZZIE AND CRISTINA LEAVING, LEXIE'S DEATH, MARK'S DEATH, DEREK'S DEATH, AND SO MUCH MORE. THE ONLY ONE OF THOSE THINGS AMELIA WENT THROUGH AS WELL WAS HAVING TO DEAL WITH DEREK'S DEATH. STOP TRYING TO MAKE HER SOUND LIKE A BASKETCASE. MER IS THE BRAVEST AND STRONGEST WOMAN I'VE EVER MET. I'VE NEVER MET A PERSON WHO'S SURVIVED AS MUCH TRAUMA AS HER."

      I take a deep breath to try to calm myself down, at least in terms of yelling. "Mer has survived all that while having to raise three kids on her own. You and Amelia don't even have any kids so don't bother saying Amelia understands what that's like." He pulls at his hair with one hand while is other is hanging loosely on his hand. "You're right Alex. I'm sorry. I'll talk to Amelia in private and try to see that she backs off of Mer." He leans out a hand for me to shake and I take it. "Thank you Owen. Would it be too much trouble for you to do it right now?" "Not at all." He goes over to a crying Amelia and leads her into an empty room to talk. When we're out of sight, Mer walks over to me.

      "Alex that was amazing. I've never seen you so fierce and assertive. It was also really nice to have someone stand up for me. A refreshing change. Thank you." I poke her. "Did that  by any chance turn you on at all?" She laughs. "Actually it did a little bit. Does my answer make you want to have sex with me?" A devilish grin forms across my face. "It sure does baby. Let's do it." We run to the nearest on call room and lock the door behind us. You can probably paint the rest of the picture.

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! :) -Mary