Monday Morning

Chap 12 - Monday Morning

This chapter is rated T for content

The next day is Monday Lydia is looking forward to seeing Kyle in the office. She finds it odd he hasn't texted her back over the weekend but doesn't dwell on it. She is getting her milk with a little coffee in it at the office pantry when she sees Kyle come in. He tries to avoid her gaze then he just takes a straw heading back to his office, before she steps in front of him.

L: Hey Kyle....Eer how's it going?

K: (curt) Fine..I have to run I have a meeting

L: Okay...talk to you...Eer later

Kyle can't look at her straight without feeling some sense of pain. He does not understand this feeling but he knows it's very unpleasant so he everything in his power to stay away from her throughout the day.

Unlike their usual demeanor which is glazed with electrifying chemistry, they barely speak to each other when they are in the same room. Kyle who usually sits besides Lydia now sits at the opposite end of her at a team meeting. 

He barely says anything but can't take his gaze off her which makes her feel uncomfortable. He wants to stay as far away from her hoping that he will forget about her completely but it's hard when she's stealing glances from him too. 

At the end of the meeting before he leaves Lydia asks if he can spend a few minutes to go over he plan for a new client they have..but in keeping with his tone for the day he sounds irritated.

L: Hey Kyle do you have some time to go over what the plan will be for the new client?

Hearing her call his name causing him to flinch a sound which he use to love now is nothing but pure annoyance to him.

K: I'll have Bea set something up for us, call Gio too it might be good learning for him.

It is clear to Lydia that something is wrong. She tries to walk by his office but his door is always closed and he looks really pissed off. At lunch time Lydia goes over to his office knocking before entering.

L: Hey Kyle I'm going to the falafel place do you want me to get you something?

K: No thanks I'll go out in a few.

L: Eer...okay. Is everything okay?

K: Yeah why wouldn't it be?

L: I don't know you just seem a bit different.

K: No not different. All good here.

Lydia walks away wondering if she's making a mountain of a mole hill so she lets it go for now but she has a nagging feeling something is bothering him.

At their last meeting of he day with both their teams combined as audience, Kyle walks in ten minutes late, doesn't apologize for holding everyone else up. He scans the room to find his intended target, as Lydia smiles at him lovingly he keeps his annoyed demeanor then as sits far away from her as possible. 

Lydia is over his rude behavior then just continues with her agenda for the meeting, while Kyle is disengaged checking his phone every thirty seconds.  He doesn't want to let up that there is a rage brewing inside of him every time he looks at Lydia, but he is very short while giving instructions to Lydia and Gio. 

Lydia is shocked at his tone he is basically barking work at her and targeting Gio's work just to get to Lydia. Kyle's team is surprised too with his behavior although Ravi and Vi know the root of all this angst for Kyle.

Lydia has had just about enough of his obnoxiousness, the team notices the tension between the two of them but no body wants to get in the middle of it. Bea has a enormous smirk on her face knowing that there is some negative energy between them. As the team mates walk out of the conference room, they wait right outside for the entire team. Kyle and Ravi are the last to leave, but before they leave Lydia stops Kyle.

L: Can I speak to you alone Kyle?

The other team members role their eyes knowing that there will probably be some sort of show down after that meeting. After all of them have left the vicinity Kyle speaks in a cold tone.

K: What is it? Make it quick.

L: What the fuck is wrong with you?

K: What?

L: You've been off all day and the shit you just pulled now what the fuck Kyle? Don't ever talk to me or Gio that way again, you might be one level above me but we are still peers so you better stop that crap, right now.

Kyle has had enough he isn't pulling rank with her he just feels so betrayed by her. Part of him wants to grab her, pulling her onto the conference table to have his way with her. The other part wants to break her down for the pain and heart ache she has caused. He has so many questions swirling around in his head, but he wants to confront her so in a cold statement like manner he asks.

K: You are engaged?

Lydia is dumbstruck by his question, she feels a shiver go through down her spine at his question along with all the goose bumps all over her body from her nervousness. She feels like somehow she has betrayed him, then she looks at his tie sheepishly as she answers.

L: Eer....yeah

K: (annoyed in a deep tone) I didn't know you were engaged

L: Eer yeah ....l have been engaged for a year now

K: (sarcastic) So when is the wedding?

L: (still looking at his tie) No date set

K: Great! I have to get going, are we done here?

L: Yeah we're done

Kyle walks out of the conference room deriving some relief knowing she is in pain. Part of him is glad she is upset because that means she is not just a cold heartless tease but it doesn't give him any comfort to know he has caused her unhappiness.

Lydia leaves early claiming she is not feeling well, she forwards her work calls to her blackberry then takes her bag in a hurry as she leaves the office with tears streaming down her cheek. Kyle's behavior hurts her so much she can't stand being there. On her way out Lydia runs into Violet putting out a cigarette, before she can say anything  Lydia makes a run for the subway wiping away her sobs.

She goes home expecting to find an empty depressing house but instead she is pleasantly surprised to find Tyler back from Zambia sitting on the couch. She runs into him giving him a hug. The minute her arms wrap around him tears start streaming down cheeks.

T: Hey baby...shush what's wrong?

L: Rough day at work. I don't want to talk about it.

T: It's okay I am here now baby.

L: Thank god you are Tyler.

They order vegan food and watch an artsy French movie on Netflix before they dose off to sleep.

Who do you feel bad for? Kyle? Lydia? Tyler? What do you think will happen next?