Choice

Chapter 18 - Choice

This chapter is rated T

Senior management picks Kyle to go to Asia to study and get the newly acquired company aligned to their way of doing business. Kyle as well as Lydia's boss Francois asks Kyle to pick any one member from the entire team to take with him. Francois encourages Kyle to take someone who is excellent with the client but also strong on the process.

F: Think about it Kyle I leave it to you to decide, I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

K: Okay thanks Francois I will think about it and let you know.

F : Let me know at the Barbeque this weekend, you are coming right?

K: Ofcourse I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Kyle ponders all the pros and cons for each member of his team but he can't seem to find a natural pick. His inclination is towards Ravi because he trusts him and knows he is deligent with his work. However Ravi is the most aggressive person on his team. He instant messages his boss.

K: Hi Francois just checking in to confirm you said I could pick anyone from my team, correct?

F: Come into my office. We aren't doing this over Instant Messenger.

Kyle promptly makes his way to Francois's office. 

F: Wrong! I said you could pick anyone from my team.

K: Well I was thinking about Ravi.

F: He's good but he's too aggressive with people. I've been thinking you might want to take someone with a softer touch.

K: (puzzled) Softer touch?

F: Yeah put yourself in their shoes if you were just acquired you'd want someone who is exceptional at relationships getting you aligned. I know you can get the job done but I think you should perhaps think about Lydia.

K: Lydia?

F: Are you deaf? Why are you repeating everything I am saying like a got damn echo? 

K: Eerr

F: Yes! Lydia is the best with client relationships which is why I brought her into our company. She's got a way about her, the clients she worked with love her, they followed her to our firm.

K: (whispers under his breath) Yeah I know.

F: What was that?

K: Nothing! Sounds good to me.

F: Okay so can you also just ask her to dress a little older, sometimes she looks like one of my daughters friends.

K: Isn't your daughter 13?

F: My point exactly.

K: Francois I can't tell her what to wear. She'll think I'm a freak.

F: Well if I tell her she'll think I am a creep. Don't worry you'll figure out a way.

K: (sheepishly) Okay!

F: So are you bringing a nice sweet girl for the Barbeque?

K: Eer...Is it a requirement? I wasn't planning on it.

F: No but having eye candy around your arm will expel any rumors about you.

K: (eager) What rumors?

F: I've said too much....now go get yourself a girl or guy, whatever floats your boat to the Barbecue.

K: (clears his throat in a firm voice) Girl! Girl! Girl! I love girls, I can't get enough of them.

Just as he is speaking Lydia walks in Francois office over hearing Kyle's words. She is completely shocked with her mouth gaping but decides to knock since her boss has already spotted her.

L: You wanted to see me (smiles) Boss man.

F: (smiles) See Kyle that's why her clients love her.

Kyle looks towards her then smiles nodding in agreement.

F: So how do you like Kyle here Lydia.

L: (blushes) Huh?

F: Well I hope you like him a lot because you're going to be each other's best friends for two and a half weeks while you go to Asia.

L: (shock) I'm going?

F: Yeah Kyle thinks you will compliment him perfectly and I agree.

L: (blushes wildly) Eerr.... Thanks for the vote of confidence Kyle, Francois I won't disappoint you.

F: Oh I know. Now Kyle look after our girl.

K: (without hesitation) I will.

With that Lydia and Kyle leave his office. Lydia smiles at Kyle coyly.

L: Did you really recommend me?

Before Kyle can answer Ravi runs into them in the hallway.

R: Where are you two headed?

K: We were just going to ask the group of they want to go for drinks after work.

R: Like you even have to ask (big smile) Ofcourse I'm in!

How is the story going for you? Ravi is about to get pissed for being passed up over Lydia. Thoughts? I love hearing from the readers.