Chapter Five-Why Not Corey

•L O U I S•

It was hard to tell what Tellie was feeling right now. She showed no signs of any emotion what so ever and wasn't very eager to share with Eleanor and I. Usually it was hard to make Tellie shut up, but now she was silent as and it burned my insides not knowing how to get her out of it. I leaned against the wall watching closely as she sat on her bed emotionlessly. Still no sign of anything.

"Tells," I started vaguely, she didn't look at me or any sign of acknowledgement, but I continued just waiting for her to shoot something back. "You don't have to go if you don't want to..."

"I want to..." She shrugged.

"Tellie, you know that you're gonna see your grandmother with wires and other stuff hooked up to her. Love do you really think you can handle that?"

"Dad, I'm not six." She snapped looking towards me.

"I know you're not six, but do you really think you're gonna be able to handle that?"

Tellie stayed silent, her eyes glistening with annoyance. Sometimes it's hard to see her as anything but a four year old so curious about the little things in life, so small and innocent. I hate to admit how much she's grown-how much she's changed. Her hair was still fair and reached her back, she still had my eyes, and still had the part of Phoebe that was small but such an impact. Sometimes she looks like me, but others she looks like Phoebe. But she's neither of us-she's Tellie, and I have to accept that. But when I think of the newborn baby who held my finger ever so tightly. It's hard to think she's come to this, shutting everyone out. Ever since Carly died she tried to push everyone away. Always shut us out-until the begging of this year. This year she slowly opened up again, stopped trying to shut us all out and actually attempted to communicate with people. But now, as I watched her sit on her bed tapping away on her iPod I knew I had lost her again.

"Tellie you don't have to try and act like this isn't scaring you." I persisted.

"It's not." Tellie shot back automatically. "I'm turning thirteen this weekend, I'm not a scared two year old anymore."

"Do you really want to spend your birthday there though?"

"Yeah."

I sighed. "I know you Tellie, it's scaring the fuck out if you."

"You don't know me at all..." She whispered. She got up from her bed grabbing her bag before leaving the room.

"Lou..."

I snapped my head towards the door. Eleanor looked at me sympathetically as she stood in the doorway.

"She's going through a lot..." She added with a shrug.

"I know... I just wish she would talk to us about it." I admitted leaning off the wall.

"I wish she would too."

"I'm gonna go downstairs, Zayn should be here soon..."

"Yeah, I just wanna check something-I think Tellie took some of my makeup."

I laughed. "Good luck finding anything in here."

I walked out of the room, still thinking thoroughly about everything. Somehow the idea of not having Tellie annoyed the crap out of me. She'd hardly left my sight since Phoebe. I always had some urge to make sure I could see her or knew exactly where she was and with. Maybe every parents like that, or maybe I'm just to paranoid someone will take her again.

"Zayn," I said.

"Hey." He replied. "Tellie just went out-just wanted to talk to you first."

"Nice of her to say goodbye..." I muttered. "Are you sure you're okay with this?"