Chapter Nine-Numb

•T E L L I E•

It was cold. A perfect day for a funeral. Although I somehow knew Gramma would've wanted her funeral to be on a hot sunny day rather then a completely ice cold one. As I waited in the back room for everyone else to come down I felt like a million tiny blades were stabbing me all over. We were burring Gramma. She was actually gone. Whenever I thought about her all I could think of was her in the hospital bed, wires all over her limp body as she laid there looking weaker than I'd ever seen. Dad was right. I couldn't handle it. It was to much to process, seeing her that way and now that's my last memory.

"Hey."

I looked up at Max, he looked different in a tux, his hair actually looking like he at least attempted to make it look good. He was holding a bunch of sheet music in his hands as he sat on the lounge next to me. We probably looked like a funeral sitting next to each other. Me in my shot black dress, my blonde hair out in ringlets because that's how Aunt Wendy had told me to have it. My eye shadow was dark, my lipstick was red and my heart was numb. It was a perfect day to have a funeral.

"What's that?" I asked looking to the sheet music in Max's hands.

"It's the music Gramma said she wanted played at her funeral." He shrugged.

"Can I see?"

"Sure."

I took the sheets from Max's hands looking at it closely. It looked pretty easy to me-but then again I've been playing piano since I was six.

"Do you have a piano?"

"You play?"

"Usually everyday."

"I don't know where the pianos gone now..." Max muttered. "You're going home tomorrow right?"

"Maybe today, depends what Zayn and Darian do. I'm just wondering, why was your mum so mad last night?"

Max but his lip and stared at me as if he was about to tell some sort of secret.

"You know how everyone says that our family used to filthy rich?"

"No..."

"Right-I only heard it of great uncle Andrew-"

He's alive still?

"-but apparently Gramma's parents had all the money. And they wrote in their will it all goes to Gramma, none to any of their other children. So that pissed half the family off and now all Grammas brother's and sisters got their kids on to the idea of the money and that's about the only reason most people are coming today."

"What's that got to do with Aunt Wendy?" I questioned looking at Max intently. Maybe he expected me to have some sort of reaction to the idea of there being a lot of money, but really I don't see the big fuss about money...but then again that's coming from a celebrity's daughter...

"Well, it was all true. The money story and that, and Gramma put in her will it gets split three ways, gets separated to each of her daughters. So, my mum thought her and Darian would each get half of your mums share since she's..." Max trailed off.

"Dead." I finished curtly. "Max it's not like she died yesterday you can say my mothers dead."

"Yeah sorry, but anyway. Your mums share doesn't get split. In Gramma's will she put that if your mother died-which she did-It goes to her children..."

"Her children being me..."

"Exactly. So, long story short once your eighteen you're filthy rich."

"Once I'm eighteen?"

"Yeah, when your eighteen money's yours. Until then... I don't really know what happens to it..."