The Mixer

I don't like parties much, but when Mark called me and said that he needed a place to host his mixer since his home was being remodeled, I consented to letting him have it in my condo. After all, it's my job to care for him. I'm not really thrilled about all of this, it's my hope that people will flock to my little rooftop pool for the majority of the night. I plan to spend most of the night hiding in my bedroom with (y/n). She was here when Mark called to ask to host his party here and she doesn't seem bothered by the fact that this penthouse will be crawling with people in a few hours...I can only hope she doesn't get engulfed in partying and forget about why she's here. "Did you clean the bathrooms? The kitchen? What about the living room? Did you vacuum?" I sighed. "(Y/N) you watched me do it." "I just wanna make sure that everything is all set for tonight." "I just wanna know why the hell Mark still hasn't gotten over here. He said he'd be setting things up...not us." "He's probably sitting in traffic, Dark. Be patient." "Okay, one: I am never patient, and two: traffic my ass. He was supposed to be here an hour ago." (Y/N) shot me a look. "Well, it's a fact girl. He was supposed to be here." There was a light rapping at the door. "It's open." I said, sitting on the kitchen counter. Finally, it was Mark. "And you've been where, exactly?"I asked, expressing my irritation. "Traffic." he said, setting down the bags he was carrying. (Y/N) stuck her tongue out at me. "Don't even start." I said, glaring at her. "It's a nightmare out there. I don't know why but whenever it rains it seems like the freeway gets even more congested than usual." I slid off of the countertop. "Well...shit. We cleaned everything, so cross that off of your to-do list." Mark looked up at me apologetically. "My bad, Dark. I was trying to get here. I'll make it up to you." "You have nothing I want. Don't even bother trying." I said, still irritated. I felt a sharp elbow in my ribs. It was (y/n), go figure. She had a bit of an issue with my sarcastic, cynical disposition sometimes. I glared at her. "Be nice to Mark." she chided. "Letting him throw his mixer here isn't being nice?" Mark stepped in between us. "Come on guys, don't argue. Help me get this stuff set up." he said, motioning to the bags. I sighed and snapped my fingers, putting the content of the bags in their proper places. "Anything else?" I asked. Mark looked at me, dumbfounded. "No...guess all that's left is waiting for people to arrive." Mark walked around my condo checking it out. "Nice place. I thought you said there was a pool though?" "Did you check the balcony, Mark?" Mark shot me a look. "No." he looked out onto the living room balcony. "I see a table and chairs, a great view of downtown...but no pool." "Wrong balcony. Go upstairs to the rec room and head out on that balcony. I really hope you weren't expecting a huge pool like yours. It's an infinity pool...probably could hold a maximum of 8 people." Mark shrugged. "That's fine. I just promised people a pool." I watched him walk away. "I think he might be just a bit jealous of your living arrangements." (Y/N) said. I rather doubted that. "Come on Dark, you saw his eyes. He's totally tripping out on this place. Maybe he'll try to move in." "I dare him to. I woudn't allow it." I said, folding my arms. I walked up the small staircase, past the bedrooms and such until I reached the rec room. Mark was sitting at the bar looking out onto the balcony. "I hope it's not too rainy to swim." he said. "If people want to play in the pool why would rain upset them? Wet is wet." "You have a point, but that lightning..." I watched the sky. There was an occasional flash of lightning. "When it rains it pours." I muttered, shaking my head at the realization that most of the people would probably be indoors. I heard (y/n) talking. Oh great, people had already started arriving. Mark and I left the rec room and headed back downstairs. I mean mugged (y/n) until she walked over to me. "What are your plans for the evening?" I asked her quietly. "I don't know. I came to spend time with you, but...well, I'd be lying if I said I had no interest in attending this little mixer." I figured. "That's all well and good. If you need me, I'll be sprawled out on my bed doing who knows what." I turned and walked up the stairs, entered the master bedroom, and sat on my bed, watching the rain pour outside.