Chapter Thirty-Six

Kellin's POV

It was three in the morning when I woke up to my phone ringing next to my face. I groggily reached for it and swiped it to answer, not even bothering to see who was calling me at the ungodly hour.

"Hello?" I muttered, my face still buried in my pillows.

"K-Kells?" Vic stammered on the other side and I shot up, fully awake as it registered, Vic was crying.

"Hey, baby what's wrong?"

"S-she's- Kells my mom died."

"Oh my god. Are you okay?"

Vic let out a sob, "N-no. I thou-thought I was going to be ready for th-this but I'm not."

"Baby...." I said quietly, "Should I come over?"

"I don't want you getting in trouble for leaving," he whispered.

"I'll be there in like a half hour." I told him.

"A-are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'll be right there, okay?"

"Thanks," he mumbled.

"I love you."

"I love you too Kells, I'll uh, I'll see you when you get here."

"I'll be there before you know it."

"O-okay," he said quietly. "Bye."

"Bye."

Vic hung up and I set my phone down as I hurriedly changed out of my pajama bottoms and into some jeans and slipped some shoes on before I carefully opened my door, I had to be quiet if I wanted to sneak out without someone hearing. 

I looked on each side of the hallway looking to make sure no one was there. Once I was sure it was safe, I made a mad dash to the front office where the social workers made me keep my keys.  It took me a minute but I found them, thankfully.

Then came the hard part, getting out of the building.  This was terrible. I bit my lip and looked around for an open window before remembering the small one in the boy's bathroom. I t was going to be a tight fit but, I had a feeling i'd be able to do it.

I was small enough, I think. I scurried to the bathroom as quietly as I could and stepped inside, shutting the door behind me carefully as I assessed the window that was a good two feet above me. 

I opened it up and lifted myself up. I groaned slightly as I wiggled through it, my eyes widening as I noticed how far the ground was from me. Once I was all the way out of the window, I took a deep breath as I held onto the ledge. I could do this, hell, I've jumped off of trains before, I could jump out of a two story building.  I might hurt my ankle again but it'd be worth it.

"Just bend your knees like Vic said," I whispered to myself and let go, trying not to scream as I squeezed my eyes shut.  I landed on the ground then opened my eyes. I was alive and safe! An amazed laugh bubbled from my lips as I looked around. I was alive!

With that, I took off running across the yard until I got to my car and hurriedly unlocked it and sighed.  I got in and started driving to Vic. the twenty minute drive turned into a ten minute drive as I sped the whole way to Vic's house.

When I got there I basically sprinted to his door.  Not bothering to even knock, having been there too many times, I stepped inside and found Vic on the couch his head in his hands.

"Baby?" I said walking over.

He stood up and immediately wrapped his arms around me, his face buried into my shoulder as he sobbed. I kissed the side of his head and held him close.