Hopelessly Devoted - What's A Girl To Do?

Layla's POV

The tears flowed freely from my eyes as I looked at Eric, who was still on his knees waiting for my answer.

"Eric," I said softly, "I...I.."

'I can't.' I thought, but I couldn't bring myself to say it. I couldn't hurt him like that.

"I need time to think about this," I said, moving to sit down. "This is a lot to take in and it's a big decision... are you sure? I mean, are you positive?" I stuttered.

"I want to marry you Layla." He said, holding my hands in his.

"Can you give me time.. please, just a day or two to think?" I asked through my tears.

"Of course, I can." He replied and he pressed a kiss to my forehead.

We rode in silence back to my house. He held my hand in the car, but didn't utter a word, which didn't bother me because I felt like an awful person. I felt that I needed to tell him, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

He walked me to the front door, and kissed my forehead once more, holding me close to him.

"Goodnight, I love you." He whispered.

"Love you too.." I replied softly and I did. I did love Eric, but not like I loved Bentley. I loved Eric, but I wasn't in love with him. I was in love with Bentley and I didn't want to marry someone that I wasn't in love with.

I watched him walk back to his car and then walked inside. I was startled to see Brandon standing before me with a smirk on his face.

"What are you doing home? I thought y'all were gone until Monday." I asked as I tried to keep my voice even. I wanted to go to my room, I didn't want to talk to anyone, not even Brandon or Hope.

"Decided to come back early... why does my brother have scratches on his back?" He asked sounding amused. My face went red.

"I .. I don't know, ask him.." I said, trying to play it off.

"I don't need to, I know how they got there." He winked and I felt guilt wash over me again. I was a horrible person! I felt my eyes filling with tears once more.

"Oh God, Lay, what's wrong?" He asked panicking, thinking that he had done something wrong.

"Everything!" I wailed as he wrapped me into a hug. "I'm a horrible person, he shouldn't want to marry me." I cried, probably staining his shirt with tears and make up.

"Who?" He asked soothingly, with rubbing my back.

"Eric.. he wants me to marry him but I just slept with Bentley and I'm a horrible person. He shouldn't be with me!" I said through my tears.

"It's going to be okay." He said reassuringly.

There we were standing in the foyer of our home, and I was having a crying fit. I was bawling my eyes out and staining Brandon's shirt in the process.

Brandon led me to the kitchen and pulled out the tub of ice cream. He quickly fixed a bowl for each of us, then he stood on one side of the counter, while I sat on the other.

"So.. what did you tell Eric?" He asked spooning some of the cold chocolate treat into his mouth.

"I told him I needed time to think it over. I freaked out." I replied looking down into my bowl, moving the ice cream around before finally taking a bite.

"Do you love him?"

"Yeah.. but I'm not in love with him. As much as I wish I wasn't, I'm in love with Bentley." I told him.