Joshaya- Let Me See Her

Josh was running, rather sprinting, down the corridors of Mount Sinai hospital. She was here, and he must see her. He heard footsteps pretty far behind him, and he knew that his brother was following him.

He saw the door that he knew they wouldn't let him through. He didn't care. He kept going.

"Sir! You can't go in there!" a nurse shouted. She ran in front of him, keeping him at bay. "You don't understand! She's in there! I have to see her!" Josh shouted, trying to push past the nurse.

"What's going on?" Cory asked. "They won't let me see her! They won't let me see Maya!"

Cory motioned to the nurse that he had it, and he got in front of his younger brother. "I know how you feel Josh. She's like my daughter. You have to do what the doctors say. You can't go in right now."

Josh stood still for a moment. He was thinking about what Cory had said, really he was. Cory took this to mean that he could step away, so he did. Josh thought one final time about what Cory had said. He just couldn't back away.

Josh burst past the door. The nurse called after him, but Josh didn't care. He had already been told earlier what room Maya was in, and he had eyes for nothing but that.

When he made it to the room, Josh was met with a horrible sight. Maya was covered in scratches and bruises. She had tubes everywhere, and had casts all over her body.

She had been walking home when some jackass on a cell phone decided to run a stop light. She had been hit head on, and it was a miracle that she had made it here.

Josh began sobbing, running over beside her and gently grabbing the hand that appeared to be the least banged up of the two. He laid his head down on the bed beside it, and began to pray.

=======

The doctor walked by the room of a teenage girl that he honestly didn't think would survive. She had probably a 50/50 chance, but the doctor knew that chances were slim after being hit by a car like she had been.

He glanced in the room, and saw a young man, who appeared to be praying, holding her hand and crying. He honestly should have kicked him out, but he decided to give the young man at least a few more minutes.

The doctor walked in the waiting room, where he was met with four adults, and five teenagers, all obviously waiting for answers on one thing: How was Maya doing?

Cory had let Josh go whenever he had run to find Maya's room because, honestly, he probably would have done the same thing.

Riley was the one who first caught sight of the doctor. She immediately jumped up, Lucas whom she had been holding hands with coming up with her. Everyone else saw the doctor right after, and stood up as well.

"Maya is very lucky to even have made it here, but I'm going to be honest and say that her chances of making it are probably very slim. Just keep on praying," the doctor said, giving a gentle smile to the group before walking away.

Riley had buried her face in Lucas's chest, beginning to sob. Lucas held her, and he began silently crying as well.

Katy had been sobbing since she got there. She had called Shawn right after she got the call, and he had picked her up. Josh and Cory had gotten there first, being the closest to the hospital when they heard.

=======

The doctors and nurses had been trying to get Josh to leave Maya's side since he had snuck into her room. Every time he answered, stone faced, that the only way he was leaving her side was if they dragged him out of there. They accepted begrudgingly, the head doctor at the time telling them that Josh didn't have to leave if he didn't want to.

Finally, after a week and a half that Josh hadn't left her side, Maya seemed to be improving. They even said that they could lower the setting on her breathing tube, which was a very good sign.

Riley had come every day. She would leave her house extra early in the morning and go visit until the very latest she could leave to get to school on time. Then, she would come back after school until she absolutely had to leave to make curfew.

Shawn and Katy had spent every waking second at the hospital. They had gotten a hotel room right beside the hospital so that they didn't have to go far whenever they had to go home to get some sleep.

Shawn knew that Josh loved his daughter. He had known for a long time. While he didn't know about Josh and Maya's "Long game" deal, he knew that they would eventually end up together with or without it.

About a week later, Josh had been convinced to go home every night so that he could get decent sleep. When he arrived back at the hospital one morning, there were a bunch of doctors in Maya's room.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Josh asked as he walked through the doorway.

"Josh," a faint sound said. Josh knew in an instant who it was. "Maya?" Josh said, pushing his way through the crowd of doctors. He got to the bed where he had spent so much time sitting beside, not sure if he would ever see what he was seeing right now. There she was, her beautiful eyes open, and without a breathing tube.

"Maya!" Josh exclaimed. He quickly grabbed her hand as he had for the last week, and kissed it gently.

Josh was crying now, more happy than he had ever been. His true love was awake, and he just knew that she was gonna be ok.

=======

A few days later, Maya was ready to go home. Josh had asked Katy and Shawn if he could take Maya home with them. When they arrived at the Hunter-Hart apartment, Josh helped Maya to her room. She was in a wheelchair, and it would be a long time until she could walk again. Miraculously, her arms were only scratched up, so she could use them.

Josh helped her into her bed, and handed her her computer, her sketch pad, and some coloring pencils. Maya smiled at Josh, and thanked him for helping her. Josh just nodded and grabbed Maya's hand once more.

Maya looked at Josh expectantly, waiting to see what he might say.

"Long game?" Josh asked. "Long game," Maya answered.