Rucas- Illness or Fate?

It was basketball season at Abigail Adams High, and everyone was excited. They all couldn't wait to see the star player, Lucas Friar.

Lucas was more excited for basketball season because he got to see his girlfriend, Riley Matthews, cheering on the sidelines for him. Riley was his favorite cheerleader, but he was a little biased.

One day, it was a game like every other. Abigail Adams was winning, thanks to Lucas. It was the middle of the third quarter when Riley started feeling wrong. She quickly found Maya in the stands and motioned for her to follow her, telling the cheer squad that she had to go to the bathroom.

Lucas noticed Riley's change in demeanor as he ran down the court. He quickly got the ball to one of his teammates and ran off the court, as Riley walked out one of the side doors leading into the gym that was used for Lifetime Wellness classes. He could hear his coach yelling for him, but he didn't care at the moment.

"Riley! Are you ok?" Lucas said, running to catch up to Riley who was being assisted by Maya.

"What are you doing?" Riley asked, concerned that her boyfriend of two years would get in serious trouble for this.

"Checking on my girlfriend. Coach will get mad, but I can run a few sprints for you. Now, are you ok?" Lucas asked again.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little woozy. I'm probably just dehydrated," Riley said, stopping for a minute, the world suddenly spinning a lot more.

"Are you sure?" Lucas asked, taking Riley's other arm.

"Yeah I'm-" Riley started, before passing out on the ground.

"Riley!" Maya and Lucas yelled at the same time. Lucas, being the one who had mostly caught Riley, let her down on the ground slowly.

"Come on, Riley. Wake up, honey," Maya said, shaking her best friend. Lucas quickly ran back to the door and threw it open.

"Somebody call an ambulance!" Lucas screamed, a gasp coming over the audience. The coaches all ran over to where he was, Lucas having already started running back to Riley.

"What happened?" the basketball coach asked.

"I don't know. I just saw her walking away and I knew something was wrong so I followed her. She passed out while trying to tell me that she was fine," Lucas explained.

"Did she hit her head?" another coach asked, on the phone with 911. "No, I caught her," Lucas replied.

"Well, the ambulance is on it's way," the first coach said, taking a glance at his player's and the blonde girl's worried expressions.

=======

The ambulance was rushing Riley to the hospital. Maya was driving behind the ambulance. Lucas was allowed to ride with her since her parents hadn't been at the game. They were on their way, very concerned for their daughter.

"Come on, Riley. You can do it, Princess," Lucas said, holding her hand. The paramedic thought to himself just how nice it was to see two kids so in love. They pulled up into the hospital, and Riley began to be rushed in. She still hadn't gained consciousness.

The paramedics were rushing Riley back to a room, Lucas and Maya hot on their heels. They reached the room, where Lucas and Maya were told that they had to go back to the waiting room.

"Not a chance. I need to be in there with her," Lucas said, trying to push his way through the nurses. "Lucas, you have to calm down! We'll just be in the way in there!" Maya said to him, grabbing his arm in an attempt to pull him back.

"Why aren't you trying to be with her!" Lucas yelled at Maya, the fear shown in his voice. "Because she's my best friend and it won't do me any good to be in there! Just like it won't do you any good! We're not doctors! We're juniors in high school! We need to let them do their jobs!" Maya yelled right back at him, pulling him to the waiting room.