Joshaya: Conversations

A/N: It was requested to me by the girl who proofs all my stories that I do a follow up of my Rilaya fic with what Josh and Maya talked about. Thus, Conversations was born.

Maya Hart sat by her easel in her bedroom, working on a painting that she had been working on for a few days. She wasn't quite sure what it was, but she was really excited to see how it turned out. This was her favorite kind of painting to do- just starting to paint and seeing where it goes.

She was painting with purple when her phone rang. She jumped, startled by the sound, and quickly sat her paintbrush down. She crossed her room quickly to get to the cell phone that was sitting on the bed. She smiled, seeing the caller id.

"Well, if it isn't Joshua Gabriel Matthews. How are you doing this evening?" Maya greeted, the smile evident in her voice.

"Hello Maya Penelope Hart. I'm doing swell how about yourself?" Josh greeted as well.

"How do you know that name?" Maya growled. "Lucas might have mentioned it in passing one afternoon that I ran into him at a local Starbucks," Josh said with a smirk.

"I'll kill him," Maya growled again.

"I'm guessing based off that that you're not having the best evening?" Josh asked. "I was actually having a quite pleasant evening until you brought up Penelope," Maya said, putting the phone on speaker and sitting it beside her easel so that she could keep painting. "I'm working on a painting."

"Ooh really? Can I see?" Josh asked. "Sure," Maya replied. "When it's done."

"Oh come on! I see all of your paintings!" Josh whined.

"Correction: You see some of my paintings, when I decide to show you."

"Pleeeeeaaaasssseeee," Josh continued to whine.

"Nope. Not gonna budge, so you might as well move to a different subject," Maya said.

"Ok. You won't believe what Schnoop-a-loop did today!" Josh began, as he began to weave the story of the most recent thing his crazy roommate did. Maya put her paint brush down and took her phone over to her bed, deciding that she would work on the painting later.

By the end of the story, Maya was laughing hysterically.

"I still can't process why that he thought it would be ok to move all of my stuff into the hallway because it was "messing with his aesthetic"!" Josh said with a sigh.

"Riley still has barely had any time for me," Maya said suddenly. Josh had heard all about Riley and Maya's dilemma. He felt bad for Maya, knowing how much she missed Riley.

"Hey, don't get all sad. It'll get better," Josh comforted softly. "I believe in you two."

"Thanks," Maya said with a laugh. Josh always knew just what to say.

In the last three months, the two of them had gotten much closer. Maya was now fifteen, one year closer to being eighteen. Even though the both of them had said "Someday," they both knew that that really meant they were waiting until Maya was eighteen. And boy, did that feel like forever away.

"Josh," Maya started. "What?" he answered, in the same voice as he had in the ski lodge three months before.

"Why do people love me?" Maya asked, suddenly.

Josh coughed, having taken a drink. "What?" he asked, his voice a little scratchy as he coughed some more.

"Why do people love me? I mean, I'm not the nicest person. I'm broken. I'm damaged. And yes, I know that things have gotten better here recently, but I'm still all those things. So, why do people love me?"

"Ok, first of all, you're not damaged or broken. You have a crummy past that will always stick with you, but you're not either of those things. Second of all, people love you because you have the greatest capacity for love I've ever seen. I told you that awhile back and I'm telling you that now. You are an amazing person. Of course people love you. People love you because you are beautiful, smarter than you want people to think, caring, and willing to do anything for your friends. Never question why people love you, because they have amazing reasons," Josh stated matter-of-factly. A little quieter, he said, "That's why I love you."

Maya just blushed. She didn't know what to say. No one had ever said anything like that before. "Thanks, Josh. I really needed that."

"No problem. Now, let's talk about happier things."

"Tell me another Schnoop-a-loop story," Maya suggested with a smile in her voice.

With that, Josh proceeded to weave another tale of his strange roommate. Maya laughed and laughed. The two proceeded to talk until the wee hours of the morning, when they finally realized what time it was and remembered that they both had school the next day.

It's conversations like these that make us who we are. It's conversations like these that give us hope for the world, and let us show our true selves. After all, conversations are the key part of any relationship.