Joshaya- First Impressions

A/N: I can't decide if I love or hate this one, but Joshaya was requested, and it's been a minute since I wrote them, so I came up with this. I hope y'all enjoy, and more at the bottom :)

March 2009

It was spring break from school, and the Matthews family plus Maya were excited to spend the week in Philadelphia. Topanga had taken the whole week off of work, and everyone was excited to get out of the city for a week. Most of all, Maya was excited to spend the week with her best friend.

On the two hour car ride out to Philadelphia, eight year old Maya and seven year old Riley colored, talked, and sang songs. Cory and Topanga smiled at the behavior, and they were instantly planning on figuring out how Maya could come with them every time they had to take a road trip. Without her, Riley was constantly asking, "Are we there yet?" throughout the entire car ride. Topanga also turned around in her passenger seat to take a look at the almost one year old Auggie Matthews, who was proving to be the easiest baby ever.

Finally, the family pulled into the driveway of the Matthews home, and everyone climbed out of the car as Riley's grandparents and eleven year old uncle came out of the house to greet them.

"Grandma! Grandpa!" Riley screeched, running over to her grandparents as Cory unloaded the carseat that Auggie was in. Alan Matthews reached down and scooped the girl up into his arms as Amy reached over to wrap her in a hug. Maya stood to the side awkwardly for a moment, not wanting to intrude on her friend, but she was quickly noticed.

"You must be Maya!" Amy said to the girl, bending over to be closer to her level. "Yes, I am," Maya replied, suddenly uncharacteristically shy. "It's nice to meet you, Mrs. Amy." Amy scoffed. "Please, you're part of the family now. Please, call me Grandma," she said, a warm smile crossing her face. "Okay," Maya replied, a shy smile coming across hers as well.

Once Alan put Riley down, he and Maya had a similar introduction. He also instructed the small girl to call him Grandpa, and Maya was very happy to have more nice people in her life. She found herself more and more grateful for Riley and her family everyday.

Maya and Riley were talking to the grandparents for a few moments while Cory and Topanga had crouched down to talk to a boy that had come out of the house with Amy and Alan. Maya didn't know who he was, but she figured that she'd be introduced soon enough.

After a minute, Cory stood and moved towards the trunk of the car. "Riley! Maya! Come grab your bags, please," Cory instructed the girls as he began unloading things. Both girls obliged quickly, grabbing their small duffels and making their way inside of the house that, to Maya, was the biggest thing she had ever seen.

"Come on!! I'll walk you guys up to your room," the boy that Maya had yet to meet spoke as the girls walked through the doorway. "Okay Josh!" Riley replied in her usual, sing-song voice. Both girls followed the boy up a staircase and into a room with two twin beds, having once belonged to Eric and Cory Matthews.

As Maya sat her bag down on one of the beds, Josh finally spoke to her. "What's your name?" he asked. "Maya," the girl answered, unsure really of what to make of the boy who had yet to be explained to her. "What's yours?" she returned the question. "Josh," the boy replied.

"He's my uncle!" Riley chimed in from next to the other bed across the room. "Your uncle?" Maya asked, confusion in her voice. "But you're a kid!" Weren't aunts and uncles supposed to be grown ups? Josh shrugged. "My parents say that I was a surprise," he explained. Maya still wasn't really sure what to make of the situation, but she shrugged it off as one of the things that her mother always explained to her as something she would "understand when she was older."