Rucas- We're Gonna Be Happy

TRIGGER WARNING: GUNSHOTS

"I'm not sure about this," Lucas said.

"Lucas, I have to do this. This rally is something I feel very strongly about," Riley had replied.

"I know that. I'm just worried that something's gonna happen," Lucas said, grabbing her hand.

"Lucas, everything's gonna be fine. It's a women's equality rally. What's the worst that could happen?"

=======

Lucas had tried to let her have this, he really had. She had told him that she wanted to go alone to this, and he was going to try and respect that.

He just couldn't do it. So, rather than go with her, he was at a store a block away from the rally. He was just close enough where he could get to her if something happened and just far enough where he was respecting her boundaries.

He walked out of the store and could see the rally. He noticed Riley on the edge, really getting into it. Lucas smiled at how excited she was. He was so proud of her standing up for what she believed in.

He was thinking about this when all hell broke loose.

He heard the shots before he could realize what was going on. Screams came next, everyone running for cover.

He turned his head quickly, searching the crowd for her. That's when he saw it.

She was lying on the ground, breathing out.

Some misogynic bastard had caught wind of the rally. Decided to make a scene. The police had been close by and captured him before anyone else was hurt.

But Riley was. Riley was definitely hurt.

He ran to her as fast as he could, pulling her into his lap. Her eyes were closed, already unconscious.

"Riley no. This is not the end of you. This is not the end of us. You're gonna be ok. We're gonna grow up and get married and have those two or three kids we talked about. We're gonna buy a house. I'm gonna be a vet and you're gonna be a teacher like your dad. We're gonna grow old together, and watch our grandkids get older. Hell, maybe even great grandkids. We're gonna be happy," Lucas rambled, tears in his eyes. He heard sirens in the distance, so he just held her, praying that she would be ok.

=======

It had been pretty touch and go for a while, but Riley made it out of surgery and into ICU. Lucas had been there everyday since, repeating the speech he said to her in the street each day.

"...We're gonna be happy," he finished one day, as he did everyday. His hand was in hers and tears were in his eyes as they always were when he felt something squeeze his hand.

"Riley?" he asked. "Come on, Riley! You can do it! Wake up!" Lucas called.

Her eyes shot open. "Riley!" he kissed her head.

She went to talk, but she had a breathing tube in her mouth.

"Don't talk! I'll be right back!" Lucas exclaimed, running out of the room to get the doctor.

=======

"Lucas?" Riley asked one day from the park bench she and her husband were sitting at.

Their kids were playing on the playground in front of them. Twins, a boy and a girl named Gabriel and Penelope who were 13, and their younger sister Madison who was 9 were Lucas and Riley's pride and joys.

"Yeah?" Lucas replied.

"We're happy," Riley answered. Lucas smiled, remembering what he had said to her all those years back. They had been so young, and yet everything had come true.

"We're happy," Lucas said, kissing his wife before going back to watching their family.

A/N: Two in one day. Don't get used to it. This was a fluke because I'm sick and feel like shit and writing helps remedy that. The ending came to me and I just had to write it. This one was really short, but I hope the ending makes up for that. The next one might be Joshaya, I don't know I haven't decided. A Joshaya one is definitely coming soon, that's for sure. Hope you enjoyed!