Rucas- Time

A/N: This is inspired by an episode of Gilmore Girls

"I've gotta get out of here."

"Lucas, wait!"

"Goodbye, Riley."

======

Riley was walking down the street with her mother. She passed Lucas' uncle's diner.

Lucas had been living with his uncle for awhile. Not long after he moved to New York, his father got another job in LA. Lucas hadn't wanted to leave, so Mr. Friar took him in.

Mr. Friar took one look at Riley, and bolted inside.

"Mom, why did Mr. Friar just bolt away the second he saw me?" Riley asked. Topanga stopped and looked at the ground, something Riley immediately noticed. "Mom?" Riley asked quietly.

"Um, honey, Lucas is gone," Topanga said, pulling Riley over to sit on a bench. "What do you mean, gone?"

"Mr. Friar told me a couple days ago. I was waiting for the perfect moment to tell you," Topanga stalled.

"What do you mean, gone?" Riley repeated.

"Mr. Friar woke up one morning and he and all of his stuff was gone. They had had a fight the night before, and Mr. Friar blames it on himself," Topanga explained.

Riley was silent. After a minute, Riley finally spoke.

"Well, good for him," Riley said, before getting up to continue walking.

=======

A few days later, Riley was at a party. Her phone rang. She made her way outside, and answered.

"Hello?" She greeted. Nothing. "Hello?" she asked again. Still nothing. She figured that it must be a hang up, so she ended the call.

Not ten seconds later, Riley's phone rang again. She knew who it must be.

"Lucas, I know it's you," she said. No answer. "Fine, you don't wanna talk, don't talk. I'll talk. You've been calling a lot lately. You seem like you have something to say, but you never say it. You can say it," Riley said. Lucas still didn't answer.

"You're a real jerk, you know that? You could've told me that you were unhappy. You could've told me that you were leaving, but you didn't. You just left without telling anybody. I want you to know that I won't pine for you, in case you thought I would. I might have loved you, but now we don't have to worry about it. I hope you have a wonderful life wherever the hell you are," Riley said as she hung up.

On the other line, Lucas stood there, feeling like he was the stupidest person. He needed to do something, he thought.

=======

Riley was walking home from school one day. Up the street from her she saw a cab stop. Getting out of the car was none other than Lucas Friar. He looked around, and saw her before she could turn around.

"Riley!" he called. Riley ignored him and walked down a little street as a way to make her way back to her path. She knew he would follow her, but she didn't know that he would stop her.

"Riley!" he said as he ran in front of her.

"Get out of my way," Riley said in her scariest voice possible. "Not until you talk to me," Lucas said calmly.

"You son of a bitch!" Riley burst out. "You just left without saying goodbye to anybody! I didn't even know you left until my mother had to tell me! You don't deserve me to talk to you! Just go back to wherever the fuck you went and rot in hell!" Riley said as she went back the way she went, leaving Lucas standing there feeling like dirt.

=======

Riley was in her bedroom, letting herself cry for the first time in the days since she had found out that Lucas had left.

She heard a knock on her bedroom window, which was locked, and she knew exactly who it was.

"Go away asshole!" she yelled from her bed without looking up.

"Riley! Let me explain!" Lucas called back.

"Get the fuck away from my window!" Riley screamed as she stood up, pulling the curtain in front of it.

Lucas slowly made his way back down the fire escape. When he got to the bottom, he almost left to go back to his uncle's, whom he had made up with and was living with again. But he couldn't just leave her, he had already done that and it killed him.

======

Running up to Riley's apartment, taking the stairs two and three at a time, he made it to her door in record time. He knew that she would be home alone, and that there was not a chance in hell that she would let him in, so he found a spare key under the welcome mat.

He made his way into the apartment and into Riley's bedroom. He heard her crying on the other side of the door, and it killed him that he had done that to her. He opened the door, and Riley looked up.

"I know you told me to go away, but I need you to know everything," Lucas said as Riley looked at him in disgust.

"I don't honestly give a shit about why you left. I'm over it," Riley said, laying back down and covering her head with her covers.

"Don't listen then, but I'm going to talk anyway," Lucas said as he sat in the bay window.

Riley laid there quietly, not saying anything.

"It started a few weeks ago. My dad called and said that he was going to make me go to California with him and my mom. He said that he missed me or something. I had to go to convince him that I couldn't stay, but I took my stuff so that he would actually talk to me. When I got there, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. So, I stayed for a little while. I didn't have the balls to tell you where I was, so I kept calling from payphones in hopes that I would get your voicemail and get to hear your voice. I should've known that you would've connected the dots anyway. I never meant to hurt you, Riley. I really didn't," Lucas explained. "I know you probably hate me, but I needed you to know that. I'll just go."

Lucas started walking to Riley's bedroom door to leave. "Lucas," she said.

"Yeah?" he asked, looking back at her.

"I don't hate you," Riley said. "I just need some time to process everything."

"Take as much time as you need," Lucas said with a small smile, making his way out of the Matthews apartment.