Joshaya- Rock

Pitter patter was all that was heard on the window of the NYU dorm as the college junior sat in his bed. It was nearing midnight, and he was alone as his roommate was home for the weekend.

He had no reason for being awake this late. He wasn't online, or talking to anyone, or stressed for any reason. His mind just wanted to be awake, so Josh Matthews was sitting in his bed listening to the rain.

Suddenly, there was a knock on his door. Wondering who would be at his door this late, he quickly got up to answer it.

When he opened the door, he was met with a younger blonde who was soaking wet.

"Maya?" he asked. Maya shrugged and nodded with a look on her face that showed she was upset but trying really hard to mask it.

"Hey, Josh," she said in a quiet voice.

"Get in here," Josh said, realizing that she needed out of those wet clothes before she got a cold.

After giving her a sweatshirt and pair of sweatpants of his, Josh sat down on his bed once again, only this time beside Maya.

"What brings you to this neck of the woods at midnight?" Josh asked, attempting to make her laugh. All he got was a small smile that didn't reach her eyes, so he knew something was wrong.

"My dad died," Maya said quietly.

"Shawn died?" Josh asked, assuming Maya had meant her stepdad.

"No, Kermit. My real dad," Maya clarified. It was a rightful mistake. Shawn had been more of a father to her than her biological dad who left when she was little.

"Oh, Maya. I'm so sorry. What happened?" Josh asked, scooting closer to her in an attempt to comfort her.

"Car accident. My mom told me about an hour ago, and I've just been walking in the rain since," Maya explained.

Josh didn't know what to do, so all he did was open his arms to Maya and pull her into a hug.

"Can I stay here tonight? I just can't go home," Maya said after a few minutes.

"Of course. You should call your mom and tell her where you are though," Josh said, knowing that Katy would worry if Maya didn't come home.

Maya called Katy and got voicemail, assuming that she was asleep. Maya called that good however, and returned to her spot beside Josh.

As much as Maya didn't expect herself to be, Maya was a wreck. Her father hadn't been in her life for over ten years, but this still crushed her. Josh was her rock, comforting her with words when needed and silence when that was needed.

At one point, Maya was sitting on the other side of Josh's bed, away from him.

"I hated him, you know," Maya whispered.

"What?" Josh asked.

"For years, I've hated him. I tried to forgive him. I wanted to forgive him. I just couldn't. So, instead I hated him. And now I never get to forgive him," she said.

Maya broke down again. Josh scooted over towards her.

"Can I just-" Maya started, gesturing to Josh.

"Of course. Come here," Josh said, pulling her into his arms and lying back on the bed.

=======

The next morning, Josh woke up before Maya did. He pulled on some clothes and quietly left the dorm to get breakfast from the dining hall for the two of them, leaving a note for Maya before he went.

He thought about everything that had happened the night before.

He had been comforting Maya, just hugging her in an attempt to make her feel better. Eventually, one thing led to another, and things, escalated.

Josh wasn't upset about what had happened. Maya was 18, so that wasn't a factor. He had also wanted to be with her for awhile, so he was happy.

He had just gotten pancakes from the dining hall, something that he knew Maya liked and he hoped would make her happy.

She was still asleep when he got back to his dorm. He smiled and set the plate down on the desk.

"Maya," he whispered, shaking her gently in an attempt to wake her up before the food got cold. Maya did nothing but groan and mumble something about five more minutes.

"I got food," Josh whispered again, knowing that would make her get up.

Of course, within seconds Maya was sitting up in the bed, still wearing Josh's sweatshirt.

"Josh?" she questioned, her mind processing that she wasn't at home.

"You're at my dorm," he explained. She nodded, remembering everything that had happened the night before.

"Oh yeah," she said. There was an awkward silence between the two for a moment.

"Did you mention food?" Maya asked groggily. Josh laughed, and handed her her plate. Maya dug in, Josh sitting beside her on the bed with his.

The two kept the conversation light as they ate, and talked for awhile after the food was gone.

"I should probably get home," Maya said after a while. She crawled out of the bed and slipped on her now dry clothes from the previous day. She went to give Josh his sweatshirt back, but he shook his head.

"Keep it," he said. "In case you get cold on your way home."

Maya smiled as she made her way to the door, Josh standing to walk her out.

So far neither of them had mentioned what had happened between them. Josh was choosing to let her be the one to address it.

"Thank you so much for last night. You were my rock," Maya said when she reached the door.

"Always," Josh replied from behind her.

Maya turned around and reached up to kiss Josh passionately, something that threw him.

"Can I come by later if things get too depressing at my place?" Maya asked, some hidden meaning lying in that question.

"Of course," Josh said with a smile. The two kissed again before Maya opened the door.

"Goodbye, Josh," Maya said from the other side of the doorway.

"Bye, Maya," Josh replied as Maya walked off, Josh closing the door behind him.

Josh thought about what had just happened. He shook his head with a smile, and went to go do some homework that he had.