Rucas- I'm in This

One Month Earlier

Riley Matthews showed up at her friend Charlie's house bearing a bottle of tequila she had convinced her of legal age friend to get her. The sucky occasion that she was there to remedy warranted the alcohol, despite the two only being seventeen. Charlie was struggling, and she needed to help. His mom wasn't home, she never was. Charlie and Riley might have had a bit of a rocky time in middle school, but in high school they have become friends.

Charlie's dad died the previous day, and Charlie was a wreck. The two hadn't been close, and Charlie was distraught that he had never had that relationship with his father.

She knocked on the door and it was answered in a few seconds. "Hey, Riley," he greeted quietly. He noticed the bag in Riley's hands. "Milk and cookies?" he asked.

"Better," Riley whispered, showing him what was in the bag. He smiled softly. "Come on in friend," he said as he opened the door more, allowing her in.

=======

The next morning

"Uhhhhhhh," Riley groaned from the diner she and Maya were having breakfast at.

"How ya doin', Honey?" Maya asked. "Shhhhhhhhhh," Riley said, still holding her head.

"Too much tequila?" Maya whispered. Riley nodded. "I'm dying," Riley said, putting her head on the table.

"Morning, babe!" Lucas greeted loudly. This was his uncle's diner that he worked at every day. Riley came here just about every morning with Maya for breakfast. Lucas was Riley's boyfriend of two years. He did not know about Riley's comforting of Charlie, especially not the fact that it was with tequila.

Despite the extreme pain in her entire body from the hangover, Riley shot her head up with a huge smile on her face. "Hey!" she said, attempting so much to ignore the pain.

"What would you like for breakfast?" Lucas asked. "Um, an omelet please," Riley answered, despite her desperate want of pancakes.

"Ok. And Maya?" Lucas asked. Maya ordered and Lucas walked away to place their order and continue working.

"No pancakes?" Maya asked when Lucas was out of earshot. This was always what Riley ate when she was recovering from a night of drinking.

"No. Hangover food. He would have caught on in a second," Riley grumbled. "You could have helped a sister out though," she said, laying her head back on the table. "Sorry," Maya mumbled with a laugh, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Should I tell him?" Riley asked suddenly. "Um, I think you might be fine if you don't want him to know. He doesn't have to know," Maya replied, only saying it because she thought that it was what Riley needed to hear. Riley nodded her head and laid it back down.

A few hours later after school, Lucas had come to Riley's bay window to hang out.

"What was the matter with you this morning? You seemed, I don't know, off," Lucas asked after the two had just been sitting and talking.

"Oh nothing. Just a headache," Riley lied.

Lucas nodded like he believed it, and the two went on to other conversations.

=======

Present Day

Riley was so excited. Tonight was a party that she had been looking forward to for a little while. She had managed to convince Lucas to go, and they were going to go together.