Rilaya- Take on the World

Riley Matthews, while extremely close with all of her friends in her friend group, also had other close friends as well. She was especially close with a boy who was a sophomore like them named Joshua.

Joshua and Riley had become close through their mutual friend Sydney. The two had hit it off hugely, and Riley thought that if her friend group wasn't her best friends in the entire world, Joshua would be.

The two were incredibly close. They even had a running inside joke that they were married or engaged. They talked all the time, telling each other everything. Riley told him things she had only ever told Maya.

The two had been friends since freshman year, and since halfway through the first semester of sophomore year, the two had drifted apart slightly. Nothing major, just a normal thing.

One Friday night, Riley was watching Gilmore Girls. An especially sad episode had just played, so naturally Riley was upset.

She snapchatted Joshua, jokingly telling him to make her smile. He snapchatted back, but never really answered, only sending faces and his wall.

After a little while, Riley was tired of the pointless conversation, so she decided to keep watching Netflix and eventually go to bed. She told Joshua goodnight.

A few minutes after she had told him goodnight, Joshua messaged Riley on snapchat.

"I think we should take a break. Stop talking for awhile," he wrote. Riley was confused, as this almost sounded like a breakup even though the two were not dating nor would they ever.

The two talked for a while, Riley trying to get him to explain why he was doing this. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Joshua apologized. He said that he was wrong and that he didn't want to stop talking, and to forgive him.

Naturally, Riley was pretty upset. Joshua didn't get to say sorry so quickly and just expect everything to be ok. She left him on read, deciding that she didn't want to be a part of that conversation anymore, and went to bed in an attempt to calm down.

=======

The next day, Riley had been hanging out with Lucas at a little park by her house. Maya had had to go shopping for things, and the two had texted and called her nonstop to hurry up and come hang out with them. The three were like their own little friend group in the friend group, hanging out just the three of them a lot of weekends.

Riley had nowhere near forgotten what Joshua had said the previous night. Hanging out with her friends had taken her mind off it a little bit, but Joshua kept snapchatting her trying to get her to talk to him.

When Riley told Maya what happened, Lucas having been told earlier, Maya was furious. She knew, however, that Riley wouldn't like it if she said something to Joshua, so Maya kept herself from doing so.

That was, until she got back to her apartment.

The three had decided to go see the play that night at their old middle school, planning to go get Mexican food beforehand and go bowling after. They had each gone home to change, planning on meeting back in an hour and a half.

The second Maya got home, she called Joshua.

"Hello?" he answered, not having Maya's number in his phone.

"I would just like to personally inform you that you are an ass for the way you treated her," Maya said.

"What are you talking about?" Joshua asked, realizing now that this must be Maya. The two had only talked a few times.

"You treated her like shit and then five seconds later you act like nothing should be wrong. That's not the way life works, pal."

"Look," Joshua started. "This is none of your business. This is between me and her."