Rucas- Ghosts

TRIGGER WARNING: SUICIDE AND ABUSE

Riley Matthews was not having a great day. Today was two months since her boyfriend, Lucas Friar, had died. Actually, he killed himself. Nobody knew why, and it killed Riley.

=======

Two Months Ago

Lucas Friar was walking in a park. His stepdad was, God knows where. He had gotten crazy mad earlier, taking his anger out the way he usually did. Lucas had enough. He was done.

=======

Riley was walking to lunch. She saw an annoying boy messing with a girl in her class. "Hey Michael, quit that," she said. Michael stopped, and the girl thanked her. Riley continued walking to lunch when she felt a hand slide into hers.

"Hey babe," an all too familiar voice said. Riley knew in a second who it was. It was Lucas. Her mind didn't process, however, why this was very, very strange. "Hey," Riley said as everything felt normal. Suddenly, Riley remembered.

"Lucas," Riley said, her voice shaking. He looked at her, and could tell that she was suddenly very scared. "Riley, I promise that I will explain everything later. I gotta go," Lucas said, walking away.

"You were dead! I watched them bury you! How are you here?" Riley yelled, following Lucas hot on his heels. "I will tell you everything later, I promise," Lucas said as he kept walking.

"You were wearing a shirt this color when you died. I know because I found you! How are you here?" Riley yelled again, poking his shoulder to make sure that he really was there. Lucas turned around and grabbed both of her hands. "I know this is really weird. I promise that I will come over later and tell you everything. Right now I really have to go," Lucas said. He gave Riley a quick kiss and walked away, vanishing into the crowd.

Riley stood there, shell shocked. After a minute, she made her way into the cafeteria. She got to the table with Farkle, Smackle, Zay, and Maya, their table having been one person smaller for the past two months.

"What took you so long? Where were you?" Maya asked. Riley just sat there. "What's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost," Zay questioned.

"Lucas is alive," Riley whispered quietly. "What?" everyone asked. "Lucas is alive," Riley said louder. Everyone exchanged glances, and Maya spoke first. "Sweetie, I know that Lucas dying has affected you a lot. Today is two months since he died. You probably just imagined it."

"No! He's alive! He came up to me and held my hand. He told me he would tell me what happened later and that he had to go do something first. He kissed me! How could I imagine that?" Riley almost yelled. Everyone just looked at her like she was crazy.

"You still don't believe me? Fine! I can prove it!" Riley yelled as she pulled out her phone. "Riley," Farkle said cautiously. The group had never seen Riley like this.

Riley began dialing. She put her phone on speaker and sat it in the middle of the table. "Hey babe. Shouldn't you be at lunch with everyone else?" the voice that the gang hadn't heard in months greeted. "Lucas?" they all said quietly.

"Guys, I know this is weird. I promise that I will explain it all to you later. This isn't something that should be said over the phone," Lucas said. "Listen Huckleberry. You had better start talking now. Not later, now," Maya said, her voice as scary as she could make it at this point. Everyone else was quiet, trying to process what they were witnessing.

"Maya, I will tell you guys later. I promise," Lucas said again. "I gotta go. I love you, Riley," Lucas said. "I love you too," Riley almost whispered, before Lucas hung up the phone.

The group looked like they'd seen a ghost, unable to process what had just happened.

========

They quietly made their way to their next classes, none of them having a class together for the rest of the day. By this point, rumors had been spread. Everyone shot glances at Riley, but she wasn't paying enough attention to care.

He was really alive. For the past two months she had been putting herself back together after she found him dead. She was finally feeling somewhat decent. How was he alive? Her mind couldn't process it.

She went home that day after not having a clue what happened in her last two classes. Both of her parents were still working and Auggie was at a friend's, so she got home to an empty house.

She slowly made her way into her room, exhausted from the day. She sat her stuff down at her desk and flopped down on her back on her bed, all with her eyes closed. She laid there for a minute before she heard someone clear their throat.

She shot up, her eyes wide open. She looked towards the bay window, and saw Lucas sitting there.

"God! You just scared the shit out of me!" Riley yelled. "Language, Riley. Geez, when did you start talking like that?" Lucas asked. Riley laid back down on her bed, looking at the ceiling.

"Well, you've been gone for two months. I thought you were dead for two months. I was bound to change a bit, don't ya think?" Riley said, bitterly.

"You're mad. That's understandable," Lucas said calmly. Riley shot up, standing.

"Mad doesn't even begin to describe it!" Riley shouted at him. "I found your body! I have been suffering and grieving for two months because I thought that the person I loved so much was so unhappy that he couldn't even tell me he was unhappy! That made me think it was my fault! I thought that I was the reason you killed yourself! It killed me! Smiley Riley has been gone since you have! I didn't leave my room for a week! You dying was the worst thing that had ever happened to me, Lucas! And now you just want to show up like nothing happened? No! It can't happen! You better start explaining, right now!" Riley screamed, standing in front of him, fuming.

"Sit down, Riles," Lucas said gently. Riley huffed and sat beside him, still furious.

Lucas then began to explain. He told Riley the story of how his biological dad had left when Lucas was 2. Lucas didn't even really remember him.

Sixth grade year, his mom married his stepdad. Lucas thought he was nice enough when they were dating. The second they got married, he changed. He got mad at Lucas very easy, and whenever he got mad, he attacked. Lucas had had bruises all over him.

Seventh grade year, Lucas' stepdad had gotten a job here in New York. Lucas thought that he would be working more and maybe he would go easy on him. If anything, it got worse.

Finally, Lucas couldn't take it anymore. He thought that if he faked killing himself, the autopsy would find abuse and his stepdad could be put in jail. He gave himself medicine that he found in an old vet kit he used to use. It would slow his pulse so that no one would be able to find one. Lucas would wake up five hours after he took it.

At the autopsy, Lucas woke up just before the doctor began cutting into him. Lucas explained what he did, and the doctor knew with one look at him that he was telling the truth. He instructed Lucas to stay with him until his stepfather was in jail.

Riley thought back. Last week she had seen on the news that Lucas' stepdad was in jail. She had only met him once, and she thought he was a creep then. She thought it was good riddance, thinking he had done things to Lucas for a while.

"You could've told me," Riley said quietly. "I didn't want you involved in case he found out what I had done," Lucas explained. Riley nodded quietly.

Lucas leaned back against the window, and Riley laid her head on his chest. The two sat like that for awhile, making up for two months lost.

"I love you so much. I'm so glad you're not really dead," Riley whispered quietly. "Me too. I love you too," Lucas said.

The two kissed, needing to know that this was real, and that Lucas was actually there. They spent the night in each other's arms. They didn't do anything, deciding silently that there would be time for that another night. Right now, Riley was just really glad that Lucas was actually there, and that she finally didn't have ghosts chasing her.

A/N: I've been posting a lot of Rucas fics lately. Some of you might not enjoy that, but I felt like it. I had a dream like this last night, so naturally I wrote it into a Rucas fic. Hope you enjoyed.