Rilaya- You're My Person

Maya Hart sat alone on a park bench in Central Park one afternoon, as she had for a lot of afternoons lately. Riley was who-knows-where, probably with Lucas. Maya huffed, remembering why she was alone.

Riley and Lucas had begun dating about three months ago. Since then, they started gradually spending a lot of time together.

At first, it was every now and then. Riley had still made time for Maya, so it didn't really matter to Maya how much time Riley and Lucas spent together. Then, things slowly started to change.

Riley and Lucas were together a whole lot more. Maya had expected them to be together more than they had been. After all, they were dating. But now, it was like every waking second they were together. Whether it was with their little group of six, or with Maya third-wheeling them in an attempt to hang out with Riley, to just the two of them, Riley and Lucas were almost always together. And Maya was sick of it.

In the last month, Maya had spent no more than a collective 45 minutes alone with Riley. They used to always hang out together. Now, Maya barely ever saw Riley without Lucas by her side.

Maya sat on this bench, on this cold fall day, thinking about this. She thought back to earlier that day, when she had finally snapped.

=======

Maya had walked straight to Riley's locker that morning. She and Josh had spent almost the entire night on the phone, and Maya just had to tell Riley about it. She was so excited that she almost ran there once she had gotten to school. Riley had had to get there early, so the two (rather three, if you count Lucas who had started walking with Riley to school as well) hadn't come together.

When Maya arrived on the floor that Riley's locker was on, her mind hadn't even thought that Lucas would probably be there too. She had just been so excited to talk to Riley just the two of them for the first time in so long, that when she saw Lucas standing there with Riley, she lost it.

"Get lost Ranger Rick. I need to talk to Riley," Maya sneered. Riley looked at Maya in shock. "Maya! That was rude! And whatever you need to say, you can say in front of Lucas," Riley said.

"No! I need to talk to you, Riley. Not Riley and Lucas. I need to talk to my best friend, who hasn't seemed to care about hanging out with me in the last three months! All you care about is your boyfriend!" Maya yelled.

"Maya that's not-"

"Do you even know how I'm doing? Do you even know how Josh and I are? No! You don't know these things because we've barely talked at all since you two started dating. You'd rather hang out with your boyfriend than me! And you know what? That's fine. You don't have to worry about me anymore. I'm done trying to fight for some time with you. You two enjoy each other. I hope you're very happy together."

With that, Maya had stormed off into the classroom. Riley chased after her, but the bell rang and class started. Riley tried to talk to Maya all day, but every time Maya walked away or just plain ignored her. After school, Maya had gotten out of the school fast to avoid Riley. Maya's class was on the first floor and Riley's was on the top, so Maya had a good head start on Riley. She had gone straight to the park, where she had been sitting for the last two hours.

=======

Maya was sitting on the bench, thinking about the events of the day, when she heard her name called.

"Maya!"

She knew in an instant who it was. She got up without a word and began walking away.

"Maya!"

The voice called again, this time closer. Maya ignored it yet again, not going to give in. Finally, the person ran in front of her.

"Maya!" Riley yelled once again, despite being right in front of Maya.

"Where's your shadow?" Maya asked with a sneer.

"He's not my shadow," Riley said with a sigh.

"Really? Because he follows you around like a lost puppy," Maya said.

"He's not my shadow. And he's not even here. I told him to go home," Riley explained.

Maya began to turn around and walk back the other way, still talking, however. "Wow that's a first. Hey, didn't you have cheer today?"

"I skipped."

Maya stopped in her tracks. Riley never skipped cheer for anything. One time she had a fever of 102° and she still went to cheer with a doctor's mask on. Maya almost turned around, but instead kept walking.

"Why'd you skip cheer?" Maya asked, her voice not as strong as it was before.

"Because my best friend was more important that cheer today."

"Am I still your best friend? It sure hasn't seemed like it lately," Maya asked, sitting down on the bench she had been on before. Riley sat down beside her.

"Maya, you're still my best friend. I haven't been acting like it lately, but you are. I'm so sorry I've been ignoring you lately. I had no idea I was doing it. I really didn't. I promise I will start to make more time for you lately. I'm so, so sorry."

"Really?" Maya asked, a small smile and a few tears in her eyes.

"Of course. After all, you're my person," Riley said with a smile, placing her hand in her best friend's.

"Now, tell me all about you and Josh. I want to know everything," Riley said, looking at Maya.

Maya turned in her spot so that she could face Riley. She began to slightly blush, and she grew the biggest smile on her face.

"Well, he called me last night at, like, 8, and let's just say I didn't go to bed until 4 in the morning," Maya said, beginning to tell the story as Riley sat there, more than content to sit and listen to her best friend, her person.