Rucas- Midnight Rendezvous

A/N: Most of the time these are just random ideas that pop into my head that have little storyline influence. I rarely write fics that change an episode. However, this time I did. This fic is an alternative to Ski Lodge Part 2. Enjoy.

"Go find Riley. Go tell her you love her."

One would think that the hardest part of this advice would be to tell her that he loves her. However, for Lucas Friar, the hardest part was finding Riley. No matter where he looked, he couldn't find her. He checked all the rooms, outside, and even in the kitchen! Riley was nowhere to be found.

"Mr. Matthews," Lucas greeted as his teacher walked by.

"Yes, Mr. Friar?" Cory questioned.

"Do you know where Riley is?" Lucas asked.

"Why? What do you want?" Cory questioned suspiciously.

"I really need to talk to her," Lucas said.

"I'm not really sure, but you can talk to her later because it's almost time to leave and you need to go get your things ready," Cory said as he continued walking.

"Yes sir," Lucas muttered, defeated, as he walked up the stairs to the room he was sharing with Farkle and Zay.

=======

The bus ride had been horrible for Lucas. He couldn't get to talk to Riley at all. Turns out at the ski lodge she had been sitting on the bus with Maya, hearing all about the talk that she had with Josh. He thought he might have a chance when they got back to the school, but his parents were all too excited to have him home. They were gushing over him so much that Lucas hadn't even gotten a word in. They dragged him out of there before he even got a chance to talk to Riley.

A few hours later, it was nearing midnight. The class had gotten home late, so Riley and her parents hadn't gotten home until at least 11:30 after Cory had taken care of all that he had to take care of after the fact. Maya had gone straight home, having missed her mother over the weekend. Josh was staying with the Matthews, Auggie's room empty as he had stayed with his grandparents for the weekend and wasn't coming home until the next day.

Riley was exhausted. She came in her room and flopped down on her bed. However, as long as she laid there and as tired as she was, she just couldn't fall asleep. She huffed and walked over to the bay window, hoping that sitting there would make her fall asleep.

=======

Riley was sitting at the bay window at about one in the morning, asleep with her head leaning against the window, when she was awoken by a knock on the window.

"Agh!" she yelled as she startled awake. She looked over, and saw Lucas as being the one who knocked. She quickly opened the window.

"Lucas, what are you doing here? It's the middle of the night," Riley whispered as she made sure Lucas got inside. "I was just-" Lucas started before Riley shushed him.

"Wait a second! I need to go make sure that everyone is asleep," Riley said as she stood up.

"Why?" Lucas questioned, eager to talk to Riley.

"Because what do you think my dad and/or Josh would do if they heard you in my room at one in the morning?" Riley asked with a knowing glance. "True," Lucas said with a grimace as Riley left to go look.

She returned a moment later. "They're all asleep and they won't wake up for anything. They usually sleep like the dead, and after a weekend like this one they definitely won't be waking up unless the world ends, and even then I think they might sleep through it," Riley said with a laugh as she returned to her spot beside Lucas. Lucas laughed as well, not sure how to continue the conversation from there.

"So, why did you come across the city in the middle of the night and land beside my window?" Riley questioned, looking at the boy beside her.

"My favorite thing is when you talk to me," Lucas started. Riley wanted to say something, but she knew that Lucas had more to say.

"I have been trying to talk to you all day, and now I finally can. Riley Amy Matthews, I care about you a lot. You are my favorite person in this world to talk to. I have something for you."

Lucas pulled out a box that resembled an engagement ring box. "Lucas, uh, I," Riley stammered, unsure of what to do if there was an engagement ring inside there.

Lucas, knowing exactly what Riley was thinking, opened the box quickly, revealing a purple jellybean attached to a ring. "It's a jellybean," Lucas started. "It's on a ring, but you don't have to wear it if you want. I just thought that was nice. When I was trying to decide, Zay and Farkle had me put these jelly beans on a scale to weigh my options. It's always been you. It means you, Riley. I chose you. And I really want you to choose me."

Riley blushed before grabbing Lucas by the hand. "I do," she said, smiling.

Lucas grew a smile on his face that he thought had to be the biggest smile he had ever smiled. He took the jellybean ring out of the box, and slowly put it on Riley's right hand ring finger. "I love it," Riley whispered before taking Lucas' hand in hers once again.

The new couple sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes, Riley laying her head on Lucas' shoulder. After a little while, Lucas finally remembered that it was the middle of the night and his parents didn't know where he was.

"As much as I really don't want to, I probably should be going home," Lucas started. Riley reluctantly lifted her head from his shoulder and said, "Yeah you probably should."

Lucas began to get up to crawl back out the window when Riley stopped him.

"Hey Lucas," she said. "Yeah?" he asked, sitting back down.

"I'm glad I fell into your lap," Riley said with a warm smile.

"So am I," Lucas said, staring at Riley and wondering how he got just so lucky.

Lucas leaned in, letting Riley decide if she wanted to kiss him. Riley closed the space, and the two kissed softly and tenderly.

"Goodnight, jellybean," Lucas whispered softly before climbing out of Riley's window, stopping at the other side to look at her once more. "Goodnight, Maddog," Riley whispered back, Lucas smiling before walking away.

Riley sat for a moment, unsure if that had really just happened. She looked down at her hand, clad with it's new ring two fingers down from Maya's ring. She smiled softly, remembering how it felt when he had put it on her finger.

"Well, you two are just the cutest. It's about time you finally got together," a voice suddenly spoke. Riley's eyes shot up to look in her doorway at who spoke. It was her Uncle Josh.

"It's a bit unnerving to wake up in the middle of the night to get a drink and hear the voice of a boy in my niece's room. But with Howdy, I knew it all was ok," Josh said with a knowing smile. "Goodnight, Niece," Josh said. "Goodnight Josh," Riley replied as Josh walked back to the guest bedroom.

Riley soon went to bed, where she dreamed about Lucas, as Lucas across the city dreamed about Riley in almost the exact same dream.

A/N: Wow! Two one-shots in one day! Don't get used to it, though. I had been writing Illness or Fate? for awhile now, unable to get the words out, and today everything started flowing. Right after I posted that one, I got the idea for this one. My best friend and fic proofreader gave me the title for this, so I hope you enjoyed Midnight Rendezvous.