Thirty-One

Grace walked down the corridor to her first class that morning–alone. Aspen, Ashton, and Reese all had a different class than Grace.

On her way, she saw Harry Potter and his friends talking to each other. She closed her journal and walked up to them.

"Hello Harry." Grace greeted as she walked by. The three friends stopped talking and looked at the fifth year.

"Oh, hello Grace." Harry greeted.

"Have a nice summer?"

"I did, thank you." Grace looked at the other two.

"Ron and Hermione, right?" She asked. They nodded.

"Yes, did you have a nice summer?" Hermione asked.

"I did." Grace replied. An awkward silence greeted them before Ron spoke.

"You're friends with Fred and George." He acknowledged.

"I am. Haven't seen them since July, how are they?" Ron shrugged.

"Don't really ask." He said. Grace raised an eyebrow.

"Well, how do you think—"

"Grace!" The four turned their heads.

"Who's that?" Ron muttered just loud enough for Grace to hear.

"Lewis." Grace said coldly when he caught up.

"Grace, please—"

"Now is not the time!"

"If you want me to apologize you have to let me! You can't say I won't apologize then shut me down when I go to!"

"I know you want to apologize, but I said I'll listen to you when I'm ready to!"

"It happened yesterday, move on!"

"I don't care! That Harley girl is a foul git and William has done nothing to her. Maybe Reese was right, all Slytherins must be the same!"

"What does that mean?"

"You know!"

"Don't be such a hypocrite Grace!" Grace scoffed at Lewis.

"When I'm ready to talk to you, I will!"

"Fine, but you're not the only one who deserves an apology! You can't blame everything on someone else, so grow up!" Lewis glared at Grace, then brushed past her.

The Golden Trio sat there awkwardly as Grace clutched her navy blue journal to her chest. She was breathing hard, her lips pressed tightly. The three Gryffindors had trouble telling if she was about to scream or cry. Finally, Hermione stood up and placed a hand on Grace's arm.

"Are you alright?" Hermione asked the distressed girl. Grace didn't look at her.

"I'm fine." Grace said sternly. "Now, I have to get to my class." Grace then continued down the corridor.

For most of the day Grace couldn't concentrate. She was constantly tapping her fingers against the desk and seemed to have a long lasting glare on her face.

• • •

"Grace, I don't mean to be rude, but I think you're making it worse." Reese told her as they walked to their Defense Against the Dark Arts class.

"How am I making it worse? It's not my fault!"

"It is, Grace, some of it is."

"So you're siding with Lewis?"

"I'm not siding with anyone! I'm just saying that you're acting like you're five!" Reese stormed off, leaving Grace in the corridor.

"She's so unbelievable!" Grace muttered to herself. As she neared the classroom Grace saw the new Professor standing by the door greeting students.

"Hello." He greeted when Grace walked up.

"Hello." Grace replied, forcing a smile on her face.

"Professor Lupin." The man stuck out his hand.

"Grace Kellner." Grace said, shaking his hand.

"Are you Anna's daughter?"

"I am."

"You look just like her, but I reckon you hear that a lot." Grace have a small nod.

"Yes, I do." Grace walked into the classroom and found Reese sitting next to someone else. Grace glared and sat down to a Hufflepuff.

Grace didn't really pay attention during the class, she couldn't. Her thoughts wandered other places. They didn't learn anything too important, just more about Professor Lupin.

As soon as class ended, Grace gathered her stuff and began to leave, but Professor Lupin asked her to stay back.

"Grace Kellner, spitting image of your mother." He acknowledged. Grace gave a small smile.

"Yeah, I am."

"And your mother had that same look on her face when she was mad." Grace's mouth opened a little.

"I'm really not mad." She explained.

"That permanent glare on your face says otherwise." Grace pressed her lips into a thin line. "I know it's none of my business, so I'm not going to make it my business. But here, have some chocolate. It makes everything better." Grace reached for the piece of chocolate.

"Thank you, Professor."

"Always here to help, Grace."

A/N
Sorry it's been so long, I've been extremely busy with school, but I will be able to get back on track!