Sixty-Three

"O-okay, Aspen breath, you need to breath." Grace whispered. Reese noticed the worry and jumped to the other side of Aspen.

"What's going—oh." The light was already tight around Aspen's wrist. Grace could tell it was close to snapping. Tears fell out of Aspen's eyes as she began to hyperventilate.

"Aspen, calm down." Grace demanded, but Aspen wasn't paying attention. Reese grabbed Aspen's wrist and held it up in front of her face.

"It's getting tighter, you need to clam down and listen to Grace or it will snap. Pull yourself together Aspen. Listen to Grace." Reese turned Aspen to face Grace, who took Aspen's hands.

"Aspen, close her eyes and breath." Grace instructed. Aspen did as told.

"N-now what." Aspen croaked.

"Think, reach out to him. Imagine your life without him. Just t-try....try and reach him. I-I don't know if this works, but there might be a possibility to meet him in limbo. Just try."

Aspen's eyes opened again, but this time she wasn't at the third task. She was in a place she's never been. A place that helps no color, just white. Aspen shook from grief and from fear.

"CEDRIC!" Aspen screamed.

Aspen looked down at her wrist. The band was still there. It wasn't as tight, but it was still there.

"Must mean he's closer to coming back." Aspen mumbled. She screamed his name again.

"Aspen." Aspen spun around and found him standing there. Around his right wrist was the same neon green band Aspen had.

"Cedric!" Aspen cried. She ran up and wrapped her arms around him.

"Aspen, the Triwizard Cup, it's a portkey. Harry was fighting Voldemort. I told him to bring my body back I—"

"Just shut up," Aspen demanded. "You know you can come back. Don't come back for me. Come back for your family....for Cho. Cedric, I like you, I really do. I don't care if you spend the rest of your life with Cho. I just can't live my life knowing I fancy a corpse."

• • •

"Is she okay?" Ashton asked.

"She might be in limbo....I don't really know." Grace told him."

"Why would should be—what's limbo?"

"The space between life and death pretty much."

"Why is she there?"

"Cedric." Ashton's face fell.

"Oh no."

A loud uproar grew from the Hogwarts students. It was obviously enough for Aspen to be brought back into reality because she turned looked towards the commotion.

"Cedric." Aspen whispered. The shouts died down as they realized what was happening.

Aspen didn't make it to Cedric before she collapsed into tears. Amos Diggory shouted something, but Aspen was too grief stricken to hear. His voice was muffled and sounded far. Aspen stood up and collapsed next to Cedric. The only sound was Harry, Mr.Diggory, and Aspen sobbing. The rest was silence as everyone gripped what was happening.

"Aspen." Grace whispered. Ashton grabbed Grace's left hand while Reese grabbed the other. All three had tears in their own eyes. Not just because of Cedric, but because their best friend watched him die.

"Cedric," Aspen whispered. She bent down and whispered something in his ear. "You said you'd come back. You took my hand and said you'd come back. Then you just disappeared. You promised me."

Aspen had been supportive of Cedric and Cho. She kept her mouth shut about her feelings and did everything to make sure her friend was happy. Aspen told Cedric she fancied him when he was practically dead. Aspen felt raw inside. As if someone had hollowed her out. She felt empty.

Grace, Reese, and Ashton held each other tightly as they watched their friend mourn. Julia, Leslie, and their friend Rowan were holding each other as the three sobbed.

"Merlin, and that was a relationship?" Reese mumbled.

"What are you talking about?" Ashton asked.

"Look at Aspen, then look at Cho." Reese had a point. Cho was sobbing, but nothing compared to Aspen who was clutching Cedric so tight that it looked like if she let go of him she'd drop dead herself.

Aspen lay her forehead against Cedric's chest as she weeped. She clutched his hand and let the cries rack her body.

"Aspen." Her cries stopped abruptly. She looked at Cedric whose eyes were barely opened. She then looked down at her wrist. The green band was shimmering away. Then it was gone.

"Cedric!" She cried, a smile on her face. Cedric tried to sit up, but groaned and laid back down.

"Ouch." He mumbled. Everyone saw the movement and shouts broke out.

"You're alive." Aspen whispered to Cedric.

"I made a promise, didn't I?" Grace, Reese, and Ashton ran over.

"Cedric, you're okay." Grace breathed.

"Thanks to you."

"Miss Kellner." Grace looked up to see Professor McGonagall looking at her.

"Professor." Grace croaked.

"Come with me, now."