Fifty-Six

"Maybe, if you did it before they announced the Yule Ball he would've asked me." Ashton and Grace groaned. Reese just smacked her palm to her forehead.

"He asked Cho, big whoop!" Ashton cried.

"Ashton!" The three girls turned to see who called his name.

"Hi Wyatt!" Ashton waved as they walked by the boy.

"Ohhh Ashton, who was that?" Reese asked. The voices faded as Grace focused on something else.

"Guys." Aspen called. Aspen nodded towards Grace. Ashton and Reese followed her gaze until they spotted Lewis.

"Remember what I told you." Reese whispered to Grace. Grace nodded and continued walking.

"So Reese, since you want to keep teasing about the Yule Ball has anyone asked you?" Aspen asked. Lewis glanced over at the group.

"Yes, actually." Aspen stopped and fell to the floor.

"What are you doing?" Grace asked as she tried to ignore Lewis a few feet away.

"I'm just going to lay here and die."

"Who asked you?" Ashton asked Reese.

"Lee Jordan." A groan escaped Aspen's mouth.

"Quit whining and get up." Grace demanded.

"I got this." Reese grabbed Aspen's ankles and began to pull her down the corridor. Grace ignored Lewis and began to walk with Ashton.

"What about you, have you asked anyone?" Grace asked. Ashton smiled.

"Actually, someone asked me."

"Who?"

"Wyatt."

"So me and Aspen are the only ones without dates. Nice."

"No, because I told Wyatt I was going with one of my friends."

"You're going with Aspen?"

"No, I know someone who is asking her."

"Wonder what she'll say."

"I know you just got out of a breakup, so I thought you and I could go as friends. If not I'll have to go talk to Wyatt." Grace smiled.

"Ashton, I'd love to."

"Then I'll see you on Christmas. Dress nice it's a formal occasion." Ashton smiled and made his way towards Reese and Aspen.

"Grace!" Grace turned around and saw Fred running up to her.

"Hello." Grace greeted.

"You won't believe what George just did."

"What?"

"You know Julia?"

"He asked her to the Yule Ball, didn't he!"

"He asked her—wait."

"Did she say yes?"

"I don't know why, but yes she did."

"Good for him."

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"Goodness Grace, are you going with anyone?"

"I am, Ashton and I are going as friends."

"As friends?"

"Yeah, since I just broke up with Lewis I thought it would be nice."

"Oh." Fred's face seems to fall, but since she wasn't looking at him, Grace didn't notice.

"GRACE!" Someone screamed. Grace turned right as Aspen collided into her. Both girls collided with the floor. Grace let out a grunt and pushed Aspen off
her.

"Aspen!" Grace shouted as she sat up. Aspen grabbed Grace's shoulders and shook them.

"A BOY FROM DURMSTRANG ASKED ME!" Aspen stopped shaking Grace and stood up.

"He did?"

"I mean, I couldn't say no of course. He's not my type, but it would be rude if I said no." Grace sighed and turned to Fred.

"I'll have to talk to you later. Tell George I said congrats on asking out a girl." Grace teased as she walked away.

As her and Aspen walked Grace noticed Aspen constantly rubbing her wrist.

"Does it hurt?" Grace asked with worry.

"No, not all. I just—" instead of finishing her sentence Aspen sighed.

"You wanted to go with Cedric." Grace finished for her.

"I mean, I've fancied him since our third year. I was just kind of hoping he'd ask."

"You could've asked him." Aspen glared at Grace.

"This whole thing with Cho could just be a couple months. I don't think they'll lost that long." Aspen looked at Grace, a gleam of hope in her eyes.

"You really think that?"

"I do." Aspen smiled.

"Hey, there's Cedric now." Aspen turned, screeched, and ran the opposite way.

"Was that Aspen?" Cedric asked as he walked up to Grace.

"The one and only." Cedric chucked.

"Is she going with anyone?"

"A boy from Durmstrang."

"Really?"

"The person she wanted to go with didn't ask. They're going with someone else."

"That's stupid of them. Maybe she should've asked him."

"That's what I said!"