Seventy-One

When Grace was back there was an uproar. People left and right asking her questions. Where did she go? Why did she leave? Did she know how foolish it was? No one seemed to notice how terrible a mood she was really in.

"Leave me alone!" Grace cried. Harry caught Grace's eyes and was the first to notice how upset she looked.

"Hello, Harry." Grace said as she walked by. He gave a small nod and watched as Grace stormed up the stairs.

While everyone was downstairs Grace was alone in the room. Desiree screeched as she tried to get Grace to talk to her. Finally, Grace took out her wand and pointed it at the owl.

"Perorate." Grace muttered.

"Took you long enough." Desiree chimed.

"For an owl you have an attitude."

"I don't seem to be the only one with an attitude." Grace looked away from the barn owl.

"Now don't ignore me. I am the one that delivers your letters. What's wrong with you?"

"Let's just say I'm not in the best mood."

"That isn't a way to act now. Everyone was worried about you so you just shut them out. Tsk tsk, not the Grace I know."

"Most people will think I'm insane if they see me having a casual conversation with my owl." Grace lifted her wand and pointed it at Desiree.

"Oh, don't you dare!"

"Quiescent." The owl's screech filled the air. Grace sighed and leaned her head against her pillow. For once Grace felt lost. No spell could lead her back.

Grace sighed and closed her eyes. She was no longer hungry or driven by finding Emily. She was frustrated and upset. As happy as she was here she longed to go back to Hogwarts.

Grace's fingers wrapped around the necklace Emily had given her. The necklace her mother once wore. As anger began to bubble inside, Grace sat up and removed the necklace from around her neck. She let out a scream of frustration and chucked it. The necklace slid under the bed. Grace sighed and lay back down. It was the second time Grace had discarded the necklace.

"I have to tell them. I can't hide the truth from myself." Grace muttered. She got up and walked into the kitchen. Everyone went silent and stared at her.

"Grace, would you like some dinner? You must be starving." Molly offered. Grace shook her head.

"I found Emily." At the three words a series of questions broke out.

"How?"

"Where is she?"

"Is she alright?"

"You should've told us right away!"

"Why didn't you bring her back?"

Grace tried to speak but too many people were speaking over her. Florence seemed to notice this.

"Everyone, SHUT THE HELL UP!" Florence screamed. Everyone fell silent.

"I overheard information of where she could be. I apparated there and used one of my spells to find her. She doesn't want to be found. Death Eaters are still after her and she doesn't want to put any of us in danger. She seems to be doing just fine by herself though. I suggest you leave it to her. She told me when everything is safe she'd come find us." Grace, still feeling betrayed by her family, left the kitchen and went back up to the bedroom.

"Mummy, why do people lie?" Grace asked her mother. The little five year old looked at Anna with curious eyes. Anna set down her book and thought about the question for a moment.

"People may lie because they want their secret kept or maybe to protect the truth from someone. However, if you protect the truth from someone else you're only hiding it from yourself."

"What do you mean?"

"If your lying to someone it could be to protect them. However, if your lying just so they don't know the truth then you're hiding that truth from yourself. It's better to be honest then to lie."

"Why though?"

"One lie can make everyone question you every time you speak, Grace. One lie and all your truths are as questionable as will the ones that will come after. Of course, sometimes you must lie to protect the people you love. It may hurt them when they find out at first, but in the end they'll understand."

"What if they don't?"

"Then that person doesn't deserve all your love."