Forty-Seven

Grace awoke early one day to whispering.

"I got up early for this and she's not even awake!"  Someone whisper-yelled. The voice was without a doubt Reese. Grace sat up and saw Aspen, Reese, and Ashton standing at the foot of the bed.

"What are you doing here?" She questioned.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" They all cried. A smirk formed on Grace's face.

"That means I'm seventeen."

"Duh." Aspen remarked. Grace leaned over and grabbed her wand from her bedside table.

"Run." Reese stated. The three sprinted out of the room. Grace fell back laughing as she heard the three running down the stairs.

• • •

"This water is cold!" Ashton complained as he began to wade in the lake.

"You're only up to your knees and you're already complaining." Reese cried.

"Ashton, it's a lake, not a hot tub." Grace remarked as the water reached her shoulders. Aspen was in the same spot as Grace, but the water only barely reaching Aspen's chest.

"Be careful Ashton or the lake monster will pull you in." Grace teased and she dived under water.

The cold water swallowed the rest of her body. The voices of her friends became muffled. Once she came back up the voices continued. Her honey hair stuck to her back and sides of her face.

"Ashton, really?" Aspen remarked. The boy was only to his knees. Grace sighed and climbed out of the water.

"What are you doing?" Reese asked. Grace picked up her wand from her towel and pointed it at Ashton.

"Aguamenti!" Grace shouted. Water shot out of her wand and nailed Ashton in the face.

Aspen and Reese burst into laughter while Ashton just blankly stared at Grace.

"First spell and you use it to nail me in the face with water."

"You're right, I should've just done this." Grace walked back into the water and pushed Ashton into the water.

"Stop, I need to breath!" Reese cried as she laughed. Tears streamed down her face. Grace found herself laughing as well. Even Ashton couldn't hide his smile.

After a couple hours of playing in the lake, the four retreated on to the sand. They laid out their towels and sat on them. It wasn't even three and Grace was tired.

"I'm tired." Reese cried. She fell back on her towel and yawned.

"I'm hungry." Grace said.

"Shocker." The other three said in unison.

"Excuse me, I don't eat that much!"

"Tell that to the other students in the Great Hall." Aspen added.

"I want food too." Ashton mentioned.

"See, I'm not the only one! Let's go Ashton."

"Never turn down food." Aspen cried. She grabbed her towel and followed the other two.

• • •

Later that night the four sat outside by a bonfire Ben had made. The wind was still, the only sound was the cackling fire.

"Sixth year is coming." Aspen finally said.

"Don't remind us." Grace added.

"I'll miss Hogwarts." Reese said.

"Aspen will miss Cedric if she doesn't admit his feelings to him." Ashton acknowledged. Aspen glared at Ashton.

"Oh please, do you even like anyone Ashton?"

"He'd be cute with that Rowan Kohler girl. She's a Gryffindor too, right?" Grace asked. Ashton nodded.

"She is, but I don't like her."

"What about her friend, Julia?" Reese asked. Ashton shook his head.

"Leslie?" Aspen asked.

"Nope."

"What about that Amanda girl? The Hufflepuff?"

"Have you ever thought that maybe I have no interest in girls?" Ashton said. The three girls became silent. Ashton just stared into the fire. Finally, Reese broke the silence.

"You like boys?" She cried. Aspen and Grace became wide eyed.

"Reese!" Aspen scolded.

"No, it's not a bad thing! I'm just surprised! I think it's cute."

"So, you guys aren't upset with me?" Ashton asked as he looked at them.

"You must be mistaken for who we are." Aspen told him.

"We'd never be upset with you Ashton, even if you had a thing for the ghosts at Hogwarts." Grace added.

"You must think we're monsters. Ashton, you're one of our best friends. You don't like girls, who cares? We love you for you Ashton, no matter what. We'll always be here for you." Reese told him.

"I was just scared." He admitted.

"Ashton, you can tell us anything." Aspen told him.

Ashton smiled at his three friends. He opened his arms as if waiting for a hug.

"Bring it in." The three scooted over and ended up in a group hug.

A/N
Sorry for being late with updating. I was busy studying for finals. I'll try to update more frequently.