I

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter I

Chapter I

Kendall was questioning what she had achieved to deserve such an outrageous punishment. Did she murder someone in her previous life? Did she commit a drastic crime or sinned one too many times? Was this just a righteous act of karma, coming back to bite her on the backside? Why did the universe hate her so much? Most importantly, why did her father have to attract so many damn gypsies? Well, Kendall knew the answer to that. Her father was wealthy and a charismatic businessman, even if he was a subpar father.

She had stormed into her school that morning, furious. All the students at Ridgeman Prep had seemed to notice that Queen Kendall wasn't in a particularly sanguine mood, so when she angrily stalked towards her locker to grab her books, the whole student body kept their eyes trained onto the ground or insides of their own lockers. After all, no one wanted to upset her and tumble down the social ladder.

If she ever had a serious outburst at someone or talked to them in distaste, she would notice them sitting by themselves the following day or not at all. The social groups and social rankings at Ridgeman Prep were vicious. Everyone knew that if you messed with the Queen and her entourage you could kiss your rank goodbye. Every group knew this. It was just an unnamed rule that lingered in the halls of Ridgeman Prep.

Kendall sullenly lashed out, a grunt of annoyance escaping her lips as she slammed her locker door into its hinges.

"Aw, c'mon K, what's happened now? Daddy cancelled your card?" A voice teased behind her. Usually, she would've turned around and given her best guy friend a sarcastic remark, maybe asked him how shallow he thought she was, or a roll of her eyes but she wasn't in the mood today.

"No, Xavier, worse," Kendall said, turning around to look him in the eyes. Once their eyes met, it clicked and Xavier immediately realised that it was a serious issue. Over the years, Xavier had learnt how to see past Kendall's stony face. It was a difficult task at first, but he had now mastered it. He could tell by the way Kendall would lightly gnaw at her slightly trembling lips, he could tell by the way her eyes would seem more alert and open or when her left eyebrow would stay slightly raised when her face fell into a frown.

Of course, she frowned a lot but most of the time, she had faked it. Kendall didn't like people reading her. She didn't like being exposed and she didn't like people being able to read her like an open book. No thanks. What type of leader would she be if she was predictable?

"Not here." She knew that although everyone around her and Xavier had their eyes elsewhere, their ears were most definitely drawn towards the pair. Word travelled fast around this school. Even though someone of her rank could easily brush off rumours, she'd rather not go through the hassle in the first place.

"Of course," he replied, "wanna hug it out? Or is it not worth it?" Xavier asked almost humorously, holding his arms out for her.

"Not worth it," Kendall muttered dryly.