V

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Five

Chapter Five

          Kendall hoped she had thrown Wesley off the next day when she carried herself calmly and almost unfalteringly through the hallways of Ridgeman Prep. The students had talked about Queen Kendall once or twice that morning but the main gossip was all about Wesley Archer, who was already making himself known within the school.

He had wasted no time in meeting the swim coach and making it known that he was quite talented when it came to the sport, especially butterfly. He'd also introduced himself and made a few friends in the swim team, both girls and boys.

Wesley and Kendall hadn't spoken a word to each other since the incident the day before. And while Wesley was itching to annoy her, Kendall had no problem with avoiding him. Once she got home yesterday, she had spent a good hour blocking out her thoughts and doing what she always did to calm herself—reorganise her shoe closet. Kendall owned a number of clothes and accessories but shoes had always been her most favoured. She had an enormous collection, mainly consisting of expensive heels.

Although she had many pairs, one had always been her standalone favourite. She adored them so much, she even wore them to school. They were her black Louis Vuitton heels. She loved that they were embellished with a shiny gold coating at the bottom of the ball of the shoes. In them, she felt powerful and higher than anyone else yet she felt feminine. She felt like no one could touch her. And although all they really did was give her a four-inch boost from the ground, she couldn't help but feel like they uplifted her confidence more too.

Kendall let out a contented sigh as she walked into her last and favourite lesson. Kendall was always fascinated with the French culture and language. Being a quarter French and living there for the first couple years of her life also contributed to it, sometimes she would grasp at being more French than American because it was the only piece of her mother she had left within her. It seemed many of her problems as of late would cease to exist if not for her mother's departure. 

At Ridgeman Prep, there were two French classes, one for learning the language and the other for the culture. Since Kendall already knew the language she decided to take the culture class instead. Xavier and Olivia were in the other French class so she was stuck in this one on her own. The culture class was small in number compared to the language one but Kendall didn't mind. She also didn't mind the people in her class and could get along with them but ultimately none of them were close friends.

"Bonjour! Comment allez-vous?" Kendall's teacher, Ms Belrose, greeted her in French like she normally did. Kendall's favourite teacher was an easy pick.

Kendall gave her a smile in return, "Bien, merci." Her teacher smiled back, satisfied with Kendall's fluid response.

Kendall took her seat towards the back and right of the classroom and mimicked the other students, pulling her laptop out. Ms Belrose called out something about continuing on from the last lesson and so Kendall buried her head into her MacBook, opening the notes she had taken from the previous lesson.