VI

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Six

Chapter Six

         "It's Friday. Another week closer to death." Xavier mumbled to himself as he got out of the pool and walked past Kendall and Olivia who were sat at the bottom of the bleachers.

"Stop being so morbid, Xav. Do you know how mortified my mother was when you signed my 13th birthday card with 'another year closer to death!'?" Olivia said, inching into Kendall slightly as Xavier fiddled with his swim bag, water droplets sliding down his tanned body and creating a puddle at his feet.

"Aw, I'm sorry, wanna hug it out, Liv?" Xavier asked, advancing towards one of his best friends with his arms wide open.

"Ew, Xavier, no! Don't wet me!" Olivia exclaimed pushing Xavier on the chest to which he stumbled back a few steps, letting out a throaty chuckle.

"You're so easy to stir up." He said to her before pulling a towel out of his bag and wrapping it around his waist.

"Whatever," Olivia rolled her eyes, crossing her slim arms in the process.

Kendall mimicked Olivia and rolled her eyes at the scene in front of her. "Come on Xavier, hurry up. I need a coffee."

Xavier huffed and reluctantly swung his bag over his shoulder, "I'll be out in five." He told her, heading for the change rooms before turning back, breaking out into a sly smirk and leaning in close to Kendall. "By the way, guess who joined the swim team?"

"I already know," Kendall had to force back a disgusted groan, knowing exactly who Xavier had meant. "All the more to hurry up and get changed."

"I think he's cute." Kendall gave him a harsh glare.

"I agree." Olivia piped in, also earning the glare.

Xavier chuckled, put his hands up in defence and turned on his heel, striding towards the change rooms. When Xavier disappeared, Wesley came into view. He was talking to Natasha Grey, head of the girls' swim team. Kendall frowned and trained her gaze on the pair, watching them closely. Kendall's personality had always clashed with Natasha's, ever since junior school when Kendall was in the swim team. Apparently, Natasha, and Natasha only, could race butterfly. Not only did Natasha ban Kendall from one of her favourite strokes, but she also bossed her around and acted like a total snob. It didn't help that her mother was the coach and her father was the team manager. Kendall, without a doubt in her mind, quit that season. Competitive swimming didn't matter that much in her heart anyway.

Everything changed when high school came around and Kendall easily and rapidly rose to popularity. Natasha was ranked silver and had always been hungry for the gold title but she also knew she'd have to get on Kendall's good side to be considered moving up—and she was much too stubborn to do that.

Natasha and Wesley started slowly walking over to the bleachers, Natasha with her towel over her shoulder and Wesley with his towel around his waist, both still engrossed in their conversation. Olivia nudged Kendall's arm, "Let's go, I hate Natasha."