XXXI

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

Kendall didn't wait until Monday rolled around to confront Wesley about his particularly peculiar behaviour on Saturday morning. She spent the rest of the afternoon, dwelling on the events of that moment, consumed by the horrific possibility that Wesley was related to her by blood. The thoughts made her shudder with anxiety and disgust. But her complaining internally wasn't going to make Wesley magically appear in front of her and offer to path things up with the answers to her questions.

No.

This wasn't like a foolish romantic comedy where everything just happens to fall into the protagonist's lap. Kendall was the only one who would be able to get those answers at that moment in time.

And to do so, she would have to confront Wesley and magically appear in front of him instead. And that's precisely what happened.

Three hard knocks was all it took for Mrs Archer to open the front door of the Archer household. Kendall tried not to stare for too long at the patches of flour on her purple apron. "Hi, Mrs Archer. I need to speak to Wesley."

"Gosh, Kendall, how many times do I have to say it? Call me Eliza. Please." She exclaimed, opening the door for Kendall to walk in.

"You know where his room is, right?" Eliza asked.

Kendall nodded. "We briefly went into it when he needed to grab something on Friday."

A timer went off somewhere in the house and Eliza clapped her hands, "Alright, well, I'll leave you to it!" she waved as she headed off in the direction of the kitchen.

Kendall climbed the stairs to Wesley's room. First right after the stairs, if she remembered correctly. Kendall knocked on the door. It was silent for a few moments before the door swung open.

Wesley's gaze met Kendall's and he blinked a few times, as if trying to figure out if his eyes were playing tricks or not.

"Jazz band." He said before closing the door on her.

Kendall scoffed and grabbed the door handle, ripping it open to reveal Wesley's bedroom. The dark grey walls and the closed curtains made the room seem even more gloomy than last time.

"What the hell do you mean, jazz band?"

Wesley drew the curtains back and Kendall's face scrunched slightly as she squinted at the bright light flowing into the room.