XXXVI

A Richer Shade of Gold
Chapter Thirty-Six

"I like your cashmere sweater," Kendall said, eyeing the fabric draped eloquently over Sachi's built frame as they walked down the steps of Ridgeman Prep on Friday afternoon.

"Me too," She replied, no hint of a joking smile or a curl of her lips. 

"So you must wear cashmere often then," Kendall continued, "I remember in Quebec, you wore a variety,"

"I suppose so, I do love the versatility and the warmth the fabric provides,"

Kendall nodded and hummed and as she approached her car, she knew she was running short on time to draw out a confession. She noticed the parking lot was sparse in population and decided to cut in front of Sachi. 

"Tell me, Sachi, do you know of a Gavin Laurence?"

Sachi's brows furrowed and Kendall's suspicions skyrocketed, "What are you accusing me of?"

Kendall frowned at her and Sachi's lips curled upwards; she was a lot like Wesley that way—always finding the humour in the most serious of situations. "I think you know,"

Sachi laughed, "Of course I do...Gosh, Kendall, sometimes, I truly wonder if you are aware of the subtleties around you or if you simply choose to ignore them."

Kendall struggled to understand if Sachi was insulting her or alluding to an issue she had been ignorant to. It made her uncomfortable. "So, are you saying—"

"Again," Sachi interrupted, leaning closer and lowering her tone, "the subtleties around you, you have yet to observe. Even now." Kendall paused, and her gaze bounced around her surroundings as Sachi watched her, smirking. "The blue car to my left...the window has been wound down the slightest—to catch our words. That girl near the steps; she's been there for as long as we have...and the earbuds in her ears? They're not plugged into her phone. The area may not look dangerous, but somebody is always listening or watching."

Kendall listened intently and noticed another figure hovering by their car awkwardly, proving Sachi right. It was times like these she truly felt dense compared to Sachi.

Sachi stepped back in a natural shift, "So perhaps you should call me later," Her eyes without playfulness, "or better yet, swing by my home." 

As Sachi retreated to her car, Kendall wondered how high Sachi's intelligence and depth of perception reached, and how she had never realised it before. How swept up in her own comical dilemmas was she to have turned a blind eye to her immediate surroundings? She knew better than that. Sachi turned back to Kendall who reached her own car and she plastered on a plastic smile and waved, gleefully exclaiming, "Bye, K! Don't forget to come by later so we can discuss our holiday plans!"

Sachi winked at her. Kendall mimicked her actions before the pair correspondingly left the parking lot. Unsurprisingly so, the stragglers left almost immediately after them too. 

Sifting through the mail, Kendall caught a glimpse of a pearlescent envelope, strong and elegant in form. Addressed to her, she wasted no time opening the mail to reveal a letter, bearing the letterhead of Cambridge University. Her father walked by, repouring his glass with pinot noir, however, before he returned to his office, his gaze landed on Kendall. 

"Congratulations." Was all he said before he disappeared into his office. She fought back a grimace as her phone started to ring. She would have to go in later and show him the letter. She headed to her room, leaving the letter on the dining table. Pulling the phone from her pocket, she noticed the caller ID—Sachi Kimura. She picked up immediately, closing her bedroom door and residing on her bed.