II

A Richer Shade of Gold Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"I was thinking about my master plan, and you're gonna love it," Xavier said to Kendall, joining her as she walked through the halls of Ridgeman Prep.

"Well? What is it?" Kendall asked, her shiny black high heels click-clacking against the marble floors.

"Of course, you know what 'red herring' means, yes?" When Kendall nodded and snapped back with an 'of course I know', Xavier continued, "Why don't you befriend the stepmonster and sabotage the wedding? Think of it this way: nobody expects it because of how close you've gotten and the wedding is destroyed. It's perfect, no?" Xavier grinned as the pair walked to a locker. 

A smooth sweep of blonde hair whipped around, "What's this about red herring and sabotaging a wedding?"

"Olivia! You missed so much yesterday! A girl tripped up the stairs in the west wing! Can you imagine? That's a skill in itself."

"Xav, maybe the poor girl just tripped over her ratty sneaker laces." Olivia joked.  

"How did you know she was one of the poorer ones?"

"I'm always up to date, even if I'm absent." Olivia winked before chuckling as she turned around, flipping her sleek blonde hair over her shoulder. "But also because it happened again this morning. Regardless, I know everything."

Xavier crinkled his face, "Well, then I guess, Kendall and I aren't needed then." He grabbed Kendall's arm and started to pull her away. 

"Stop it, you drama queen!" Olivia told him, "Truth is, I had some things to sort out with my parents."

"Is everything alright?" Kendall asked her.

Olivia nodded and smiled, directing her attention to her best girl friend, "Yeah, it's been sorted. Anything else happen yesterday? Something worth telling me?" She glanced sideways at Xavier. 

Kendall sighed, "My dad was actually serious when he said he was marrying Clarissa." She kept her face straight and monotonic as the trio made their way to their first class of the day.

"No way." Olivia gasped as they took their seats.

"Yes," Kendall said, keeping her face neutral as she crossed her arms onto the table before resting her head on them. She heard various whispers around her but chose to ignore them. After all, when you're so high up, people were bound to notice and talk. At first, Kendall was a little thrown off by how much people talked but she learned to put up with it.

"K," Xavier to her right hissed in a hushed tone, "people are talking. They know something's up." He leant over, his chair swung upon its left leg. "Come on." Xavier grabbed Kendall's head and lifted it up before unfolding her arms, forcing her to sit back up all while trying to balance on his chair himself.